Stripping.....paint, that is

Pete

An infrequent poster but a frequent reader (namely me) is starting to get things into gear by repainting and detailing a few locos and cars.
I have some that need to be stripped of their current paint as it doesn't quite come even close to matching the finished scheme, and was wondering about some methods used by yourselves and how well they work. I'd rather not end up 'melting' my P2K FA2 shell into a useless blob on my first try...
I know brake fluid and oven cleaner work well on metal surfaces, but am not sure about how they will react with plastics....
Any input would be appreciated....

Thanks
Pete

rockislandmike

I have used 99% isopropyl alcohol with **GREAT** results on 99% of the items I have repainted. Takes a little scrubbing after soaking them, but no damage to unit, even if you leave 'em overnight.

The only time this didn't work for me there was no damage to the unit, but the paint didn't want to come off either. I was gonna try pinesol next, which is the other recommendation I saw somewhere.

I've used brake fluid for years. Some people say it's tough on plastics, but I've never had a problem with it, and have even forgotten and left plastic stuff in the solution over night a couple of times.
Bill S

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I had a Stewart FT shell that 99% alcohol stripped only half (the rear half I believe) of the paint. Pinesol, straight, got the rest. Some plastics become temporarily softened by brake fluid, but otherwise it works well.
Pete

marty w.

I use ELO, Easy Lift Off by Floquil, to remove paint.
I tried brake fluid once and the shell came out like rubber.
Marty