Strip mines

L

lester perry

I am considering a strip mine 1940s where my dead cow was. Some of you know what I mean by dead cow. Anyway I cant find information prefer pics of them and how they operated. Did they use same type of facilities as a dug mine as in the coalery or did they load trains with heavy equipment?:confused:
Les

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
a lot depends on the location and quality of coal some larger mines would have there own prep plant others would use a centerly located prep plant some would just have a braker with some tpye of tipple and some smaller mines would just have a wood loading dock out over the rails to dump into hopper cars or gon's. one interesting thing would to set up a small mine that had reached its stripping limits and went to auger mining.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Sorry that I can't offer much help in the way of strip mining info, but I wanted to offer my condolences on the loss of your cow.:cry:

Wayne

By the way, how was the barbecue?:D :D Maybe you should build a charcoal kiln instead of the strip mine.:)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Les,Strip mines are such a complicated thing.Some mines used 0-4-0T,0-6-0Ts and 0-6-0s,while other mines used early dump trucks.Side dump cars was used to haul coal to the processing area.I am told some strip mines used geared locomotives.
The coal would still need clean and crushed just like shaft mines.