Street Light Telephone pole

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Remembering someone mentioned North American telephone poles with streetlights in the "What Detail Parts Would You Like To See" thread, I thought I would try to scratchbuild one. Here's my first attempt.

Attachments

• pole1.jpg
    pole1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 325

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Here's another one, on my test transformer, all lit up.
I started with an HO scale lamp from Life Like, but it was big and looked out of scale, so I opted for the N scale one instead.

Attachments

• pole2.jpg
    pole2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 315

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Its an Evergreen Plastics tube, capped at one end, and a hole drilled in one side for the light. The wires run down the inside of the tube. I will drill a hole in the layout to "plant" the pole and pass the wires down through.
Won't even see them.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Looks real good 88, now you have given me an idea to work on for my 0n30.
Shamus

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by eightyeightfan1
someone mentioned North American telephone poles with streetlights in the "What Detail Parts Would You Like To See" thread...

That was me! Those are looking good Ed. Do you perhaps have a photo where there's not so much in the background? I'm finding it a little hard to see the lamp.....

cheers
Val

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
.I started with an HO scale lamp from Life Like, but it was big and looked out of scale, so I opted for the N scale one instead .

Do you mean the size of the bulbs or the poles? I've been looking at the "grain of wheats" which is the smallest bulb I could find and they still look too big even for HO. If there is something smaller out there I'd sure like to know what it is.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Clark,

the smallest bulbs I found so far were called "grain of rice" bulbs. The same catalog (sorry, not in America, but here in Switzerland) offered also "grain of wheat" lamps which were about 50% bigger.

Hope this helps,

Ron

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Thanks Guys and Val,
They are actually the arms that I cut off of N scale street lamps.
I was gonna post a step by step, I have taken pics of each step...But I changed my mind...because I used the HO lamp and it looked funny.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
That's very cool Ed. My original mistaken thought about just using the wires for a support arm has given me an idea though. The kind of streetlights I want to have, feature a gracefully curved arm, and now I think I know how to achieve this:

1. pull the wires from the straight tubing
2. cut a piece of very thin copper or brass rod to the length you want the arm to be
3. Line it up with the wires
4. Apply some of that heat-shrink insulattion to hold the wire and the rod together
5. Bend the rod to the desired curve.

I think this might just work. Here's a pic showing what I mean. It's pretty small but it's the only one I have without a cluttered background.

cheers
Val

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 60