Streamlined Shroud?

cyb0rg

Does anyone manufacture streamlined shrouds like the one pictured here?
CAUTION: Large image, may load slow on dialup!

"
In the mid 1930s, streamlining steam locomotives for passenger service was tried as a way to lure the traveling public back to rail travel and away from the automobile."

My guess would be that you would have to buy the loco like that, and that no one makes a kind of "slide on" shroud. Might be an interesting kitbash.
smile.gif

jetrock

Generally locomotives were made to look like that, rather than having a shroud fitted over an existing locomotive. You can get various sorts of streamlined locomotives for your Thirties hotshot passenger runs...

cyb0rg

Thanks for that link Chris333.
thumbsup.gif

jetrock - From what I've been reading, the shrouds were installed over the top of an existing loco. I should've posted some info on that in my original post...I'll do that now:

"5344 received the first streamlined shroud applied to a steam locomotive in America. It was named Commodore Vanderbilt. In 1939, her original shroud was replaced with the then popular Dreyfuss streamlining. Through all this she kept her original number 5344."- Source

[size=-1]"In 1936, the Burlington decided to modernize and streamline one of the Hudson's...And the engine and tender were covered with a stainless-steel streamlined shroud to give it a passenger diesel look. All work was performed at CB&Q's West Burlington, Iowa shops." - Source

[/size]

brokemoto

PENN-ZEE makes them in Z scale, in both DGLE (or what passes for it)with stripes as well as Tuscan Red. I have asked them numerous times about bringing their shells to N scale, but they have no plans to do so. I have also mentioned it to Father Nature, and it surprises me that he has never done these, as he seems to favour railroads of Pennsylvania.

If enough people ask for these, they may do it, but you do have to keep in mind that the quality of Father Nature's castings are inconsistent, and they are pricey. Be prepared to do a large amount of puttying, sanding and filing to them.

If you like unusual PRR passenger power, they do have a casting for PRR passenger sharks.

Many of the NYCS hudsons were de-shrouded beginning in 1942 and the steel went off to war. How many B-17s started life as a shroud on a J-3a? Beginning about 1947, only a few were re-shrouded as the hudsons were replaced on premier NYCS passenger trains by 1) Mohawks 2) Niagaras and 3) E-7s, the first of which showed up in 1945 and were an instant hit with both NYCS managment and the riding public.