Strathmore: What Kind?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by arkierailguy, Jul 31, 2005.

1. arkierailguy

arkierailguy New Member

I have read about using "Strathmore" board for models, but am unsure what type is being used. Strathmore lists many different kinds in their catalog. Can someone shed some light?:confused:
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Much depends on the thickness. As many of you know I like to re-cycle cerealbox cardboard as the price is right and ut suits my modelling needs.
  3. zedob

zedob Member

.060" (1/16") should be fine. .090" is alittle on the thick side and not easy to work with. has all kinds of mat and mounting boards of varying thicknesses, but as matthyro sugested, you can go the cheap route. I can't give you any input on that material because I've never used it. I never thought about it until I saw it here (learn a new thing everyday). Resourcefulness is a good modeler's virtue. With proper stiffening and a good coat of paint to seal out any unwanted moisture, it should be good to go.
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

i started in modeling using strathmore board but moved on to northeastren for wood and Evergreen for styrene to me both are much easier to work with.