strap it!

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
kinda silly question, but can a person making a "L" girder type benchwork strap 2 - 1x4's to the wall for sturdiness. Any photos would be greatly apreciated for tutorial purposes.
Thanks all!
:thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't understand what you mean by "strap". If you can locate your studs, you could make a L girder out of 2 1x4's and then fasten them to the wall with screws. I think for added strength, I would use some sort of small shelf bracket to strengthen the "L" that was screwed to the wall since the rest of your layout will probably be built off that first "L".

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If you're going to fasten it to the wall, why not just build open grid benchwork? You'll use less lumber, and you can use plywood, foam, or "cookie cutter" type sub-roadbed. I built my layout using 1"x4" pine, 16" o.c. These "table tops" are supported by 2"x4" legs and framework, bolted to the walls. (I used 2"x4"s because that's what I had left over after building my house.) I also used 3/8" plywood to build storage shelves under most of the layout. The 1"x4" is put together with drywall screws. In some areas, this was covered with plywood, while other areas got strips of subroadbed cut from sheets of 3/4" plywood. Elevated track was raised by screwing 1"x2" or 1"x4" scraps, vertically, to the crossmembers of the open grid. I'm planning to build a second level of the layout this winter. This will be 1"x2" open grid, supported on custom-made angle brackets bolted to the wall. Table top will be all 3/8" plywood, and there'll be fluorescent lights hung beneath the gridwork, to illuminate the parts of the layout underneath.

Wayne