Strange request needed....shale rock

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Hello all,

I'm going to need some real shale for the river bank. I saw in Dec 06 edition of Model Railroad News or might have been in MR. Anyhow ,one of the articles was about using real shale rock for a river bank.
Seeing I live in SC,right on the coast,the only thing I have here is tons of sand as far as the eye can see. I need a freezer bag or two of this stuff. I'll be more than happy to pay postage and your troubles of bagging it.

I liked the look of it so much , I just have to have some of this shale. Perhaps we can trade shale for all the @%#$ sand you want ! LOL just kidding.

I think it was in MR Jan edition, check it out...looks pretty cool on the river bank.

Regards

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

Shale

Being in a area that is heavy with mines, I have a ton of shale/slag rocks.
Would be glad to send you some! If you want to PM me with your zip code I will see how much it costs to mail you some!

Is this what you had in mind?

taskboard004.jpg

taskboard.jpg

David

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Many of the sedimentary rock formations can be modelled with paper (i.e. non-fibreglas) ceiling tiles and a wire brush. Shale, slate, and other "layered" rocks can be done.

Andrew

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Patrick -

As a geologist, I have many rocks in the yard, including some shale. As it turns out, the shale specimens that I have brought out to the arid southwest from the east simply disintegrate here -- but that would be a good thing for you, as they fall apart into little thin pieces that would be perfect on the layout.

Unfortunately, I cleaned out the rock garden this summer, and threw out all the small bits. I will examine the remaining samples, however, and see if I can find anything suitable. PM me if you are interested.

David -

Those rocks don't look like shale to me.

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Santa Fe Jack said:
Patrick -

As a geologist, I have many rocks in the yard, including some shale. As it turns out, the shale specimens that I have brought out to the arid southwest from the east simply disintegrate here -- but that would be a good thing for you, as they fall apart into little thin pieces that would be perfect on the layout.

Unfortunately, I cleaned out the rock garden this summer, and threw out all the small bits. I will examine the remaining samples, however, and see if I can find anything suitable. PM me if you are interested.

David -

Those rocks don't look like shale to me.

Thanks David,

Below is a photo of exactly what I'm searching for. I don't know if in up state SC has any deposits of this shale clay rock. I found this picture on the net,the small vein is the shale deposit.

Jan 06 of MR had a fellows layout modeled in HO ,using what looks to be shale clay rock as a river liner.

shalerockclay.jpg

Thank you all for your insight and knowledge. I've seen this stuff as a kid....oh about thirty years ago,should have bagged some up then. But then again it would have sat around for thirty years till being dicovered as model railroading stuff!!!!

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

LOL, I barely passed geology in school, shale/slag whatever! there all rocks to me! , but the rocks in the picture were from a hillside that I scraped some off for my layout. Hey, ya can`t beat the price !!!

Hmm! I smell a challenge! Maybe a rock wall? or old farm yard field stone wall?

mspaeth

Dec 3, 2006
Muskogee, Oklahoma
I think I have what you are looking for.. It's black and about the size of a dime. I'm using it for my drive way. If you want some, I'll send you some of my drive way...

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
mspaeth said:
I think I have what you are looking for.. It's black and about the size of a dime. I'm using it for my drive way. If you want some, I'll send you some of my drive way...

The above picture is what I'm looking for. The middle section of rock is shale clay formation.....This is what I need. Shoot I can get driveway rock by the ton.

Thanks for the in put.

Patrick

rfmicro

Sep 24, 2006
Patrick,

I would have to agree with Andrew, that your best (and least cost) bet is to fabricate the shale formation that you are looking for with layered ceiling tile or foam and a good wire brush/exacto knife to make the stratified rock formations. That and some effort in rock formation coloring should produce the rock formations that you are looking for.

I have seen it done before on DVD or some forum but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.

Regards,
Trent