strange look

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I tend to agree, once Norton becomes part of your life, it can take over and not let go without a big fight,fence1 I used Norton Firewall for a good half a day and uninstalled it when the whole Net became its enemy and I couldn't view anything anywhere without granting permission. Norton AV is intrusive and one big PITA as well and finally had to uninstall it to keep it from bugging me all the time. Disabling it wasn't enough since it kept reminding me that I had it disabled and did I want to enable it and did I also want to remew as well.:rolleyes:

I went back to using Zone Alarm for a firewall and Avast! for my AV. Both work fine and the price is right. I have not had to do anything different to work with the new format here. So I'm with Peter, if you're having problems try clearing out your browser's cache first and maybe the cookies after that.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
ezdays said:
So I'm with Peter, if you're having problems try clearing out your browser's cache first and maybe the cookies after that.

Norton AV has become to me on my 'puter what my Mossberg 12 gauge Model 500 "Street sweeper" lyin' under my bed is---a warm fuzzy feelin' in a world o' bad guys. Just gotta treat 'em with respect....

How does one clear out the browser?

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
For me it is Norton or nothing for Antivirus software.
I have had far too many machines come onto my repair bench needing cleaning and "protected" by AVG or Avast.

I have never had any trouble with Norton Anti Virus, you install it, set it to auto update and forget it. I recommend it to all my clients and have never had one come back and complain.

I read a review in a Toronto newspaper that compared ALL the AV software, they polled computer technicians and asked which AV software protected the most. The results were to use either Norton or McAfee, they were rated as being over 95% effective. AVG and Avast were rated about 65-70% effective, even the pay version of AVG was only 80%. I liked the guys bottom line review, 70% may be a pass mark in school, but not on my computer. When it comes to the free software, think people, think... if it were really any good, they could charge you money for it.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
shaygetz said:
Norton AV has become to me on my 'puter what my Mossberg 12 gauge Model 500 "Street sweeper" lyin' under my bed is---a warm fuzzy feelin' in a world o' bad guys. Just gotta treat 'em with respect....

How does one clear out the browser?

Seems quite obvious to me.:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Will_annand said:
For me it is Norton or nothing for Antivirus software.
I have had far too many machines come onto my repair bench needing cleaning and "protected" by AVG or Avast.

I have never had any trouble with Norton Anti Virus, you install it, set it to auto update and forget it. I recommend it to all my clients and have never had one come back and complain.

I read a review in a Toronto newspaper that compared ALL the AV software, they polled computer technicians and asked which AV software protected the most. The results were to use either Norton or McAfee, they were rated as being over 95% effective. AVG and Avast were rated about 65-70% effective, even the pay version of AVG was only 80%. I liked the guys bottom line review, 70% may be a pass mark in school, but not on my computer. When it comes to the free software, think people, think... if it were really any good, they could charge you money for it.
Me and Norton go way back. I started using Norton when they bought out the PCTools file manager and subsituted it for Norton Navagator. I used it right up through Win XP, even though Norton stopped supporting it around Win95 (it worked it just clashed with my AV updates). I bought Systems Works when it first came out, which included AV and upgraded each year. When Norton started to charge a yearly fee to subscribe to their AV updates (and I can't blame them for that), I could buy the upgrade at Fry's for like $60 and get $60 in rebates, cheaper than sending Norton $20 for another year of protection. I never had a problem with rebates from Norton so cost is not the issue here. I still run Systems Works, but uninstalled the AV after becoming frustrated with it. Everything Norton seems to have a mind of its own and it won't take no for a answer. I have the System Doctor scheduled not to run, yet I'll be in the middle of a post on a forum or checking out a site and find the thing pops up and is running. I'm just upset with anything Norton because it assumes you don't know what you want out of your computer, you're not smart enough to make the right choices for yourself so it will override your choice. Fry's still offers the upgrade essentally free, I just choose not to upgrade this year.

The current issue of PC Word reviews ten AV's including Norton, McAfee, Avast and AVG. Basically, they all do a good job and they all have some weaknesses. BitDefender 9 came out on top, Norton was #5, Avast #7 and AVG came in at #10.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I just check the article Don, interesting that they gave it a low rating...

They pointed out several things it does better than the others, the only negative was the cost of phone support. Funny, I have only had to call phone support once and it was free???? Of course that was Symantec Canada I phoned.

They rated it first at detecting viruses, said it was easy to "get up and running" has added features "it scans instant messaging traffic. It also secures your PC against browser hijackers, keystroke loggers"

Of course with it's new online "Automated Support Feature" you never need to phone. :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Clerk said:
I can't seem to find the changes on the bottom of the page or my eyes are worse than I thought.:rolleyes:
Dick,
go right to the very bottom of any page here and there is a small box in the middle. Click on the arrow and you can choose between "Gauge Classic (blue with white print)" and "Gauge New" (gray with black print)".

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
hmmm I wonder ,Whats a Classic Gauger and how do you qualify?? ;)

Nothin wrong with the new look and once in a while you find something you want to copy and keep in a file ( tip or how to etc) With this new look it will be one less step to save it.With the old look you had to highlight and change text from white to dark. No more with the new look!!!.

Good Job Peter, Mikey, Val and all the rest who keep things here runnin smooth!!!:thumb:

Now what the heck is the new "home page" ???

And why now when using "new posts" as I know many of us do, the (non-highlited)
list of new posts from previous visits is gone? That gave us a good list of just where
we had been!! If I leave and come back later, in order to review something that may have
been said, I have to search the forums to find it!! Not necessary, I tthink.

By all means, let's improve, but not arbitrarily get rid of features! Maybe this is just a
knee-jerk reaction, we'll see how it looks when Peter gets through messing with it!

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
whats up know when i sing in i go to the arcives and a list of new posts have to open one of the new posts then click on the top bar model train forums to get the page listing all forums .

Hey Peter, maybe we should back up a couple of clicks, and you let us all in on
what the changes are all about. I'm in a snit :rolleyes: about losing the list of "old" new posts
and having to go back to search for topics in which I've recently participated. Maybe
I'm in the minority, but I use "new posts" almost exclusively when logging on rather
than going to a particular forum; I may not have any idea where a certain thread was,
other than by context. Can you help??

The "skin" thing is not new, is it? Have we not always had the choice of "Classic" vs "black-on-white"
in User CP Options?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Roger Hensley said:
Good God what a mess!
Nothing like a 'New' Home Page to drive you away. I'm not even sure how I got here and may never be able to find my way back!!
Not everything works well for everybody. For the most part, just about every change Peter has made these past few days are welcome by most here. If you want to bypass the "home" page, instead of linking to http://www.the-gauge.com/ try linking to the forum main page http://www.the-gauge.com/index.php when you first come here.

That should work. Me, I still haven't decided whether I like the home page or not, but I can alway skip it if I don't. I'm also not sure if I like the "new gauge" or the "classic Gauge" better. I keep switching back and forth.:confused: