Strachan

spitfire

A nice day to get out and take some photos. Here's a view looking east from the level crossing at Strachan south of King St. in Toronto.

Attachments

• strachan1.jpg
    strachan1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 120

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Great photos Val. Brings back memories of my daily commutes into the city. Dick, the CN tower was the worlds tallest structure but don't know if it still is.
Rich, you don't want us Toronto Maple Leaf fans to start getting after you do you?

Woodie

Great pics. Specially that gantry. :)

To give me an idea of the height of the CN Tower, How tall is, say, the creamy coloured tall building on the far left? How many floors? I have seen the tower, albeit on a clear day from the other side of the lake! (Visiting Niagra Falls) :cool:

Don't get me wrong! I have been to Toronto.... Just the airport but...... xfer flights a couple of times on business trips to Cincinnati.

A little anecdote about US Customs.........

Arrived at JFK (New York), and was hiring a car to drive up to Niagra Falls.

Customs Officer: And were are you staying, sir?

Me: Dunno. Hiring a car and driving up to Niagra Falls. Get a motel on the way somwhere.

Customs Officer: I'm sorry Sir, but we need an address where you are staying.

Me: I don't have one.

Customs Officer: We are unable to process your entry without an address.

Me: Well, we are going for a holiday in Niagra Falls, and we will be staying there.

Customs Officer: Well why didn't you say you were staying at the Holiday Inn, Niagra Falls.

Me: Oh... derrrrrrrrrr......

So the Customs Officer wrote in the address "Holiday Inn, Niagra Falls".

:eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

spitfire

Thanks guys. Woodie the CN Tower is 553.3 m tall.

Chris, yes, I think that must be Lamport Stadium.

cheers
Val

Pooh Bah
World's Tallest ...

The CN Tower is the world's tallest free-standing structure. There are, apparently, radio towers with guy-wires that go up higher. It's 12 hundred and some steps up to that little deformity in the middle.
The CN tower was built on site of the the CPR yards. Next to it is the world's largest garbage can with a removable lid, which was built on the site of the CNR roundhouse and loco yard.

Clerk

I was only kidding when I mentiioned the space needle. I am very familiar with the CN Tower from photos that Robin posted last year.

These are still beautiful photos Val.

Woodie

That Aussie influence is all pervading, ain't it!!

Lamport Stadium?

I see "Melbourne" Avenue is just round the corner, and there is a "Spencer" St (Melbourne's main interstate station), and the next block up from Spencer is "King" st. in Melbourne's CBD. :eek: :p
lamport_stadium.gif

BTW.... What are people from Toronto called? Torontarian? Torontonites? Torontish?? :confused:

Pooh Bah
Woodie:
They're called Torontonians and pronounced "Truntunyuns". City is called "Tronna" or "Trawna". :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Hey Rich, what about them Leafs with the overtime win tonight so one more game GO LEAFS GO!! :D :D
Sorry Val, this got a bit off topic but couldn't resist.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hey Val,

Cool shots. The first is a neat reference for the grittiness of track side appearence. The signal bridge in the second is really interesting and would be an eye catching model. The third pic would make a great backdrop mural.

Oh, and Rich and Matt...GO WILD!!!!!!!!!! :)
Ralph