Story Behind Your User Name

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by SeriousSam, Apr 7, 2007.

1. phoneguy

phoneguy member

I've worked for the phone company for the last 27 yrs. When I would knock on someones door and they yelled "Who's there" I'd yell back "It's the phoneguy." When I got my first internet account I used phoneguy so now that's what everyone calls me.
  2. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

My wife and I call each other "Papa Bear" and "Mama Bear." That's because she's as cuddly as a teddy bear.:D (I know, too much information)

The bear in my avatar is "Burlington," from my mother's collection. My brother and I bought him for her years ago. I don't remember how he started wearing the engineer's cap and handkerchief, but it has stuck ever since.
  3. GN.2-6-8-0

GN.2-6-8-0 Member

Of all the articulateds on the Great Northern I fell in love with the Runt of the Litter....the class M2 2-6-8-0.
    Took me 20 yrs to get one in H.O and I still drool over'em....How I wish they could'a saved just one of'em for prosperity:cry:

Attached Files:

4. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

Indeed...of all engines, surely one as unique as this could've been at least set aside in a park somewhere. Then again, you'd think a NYC Hudson would've been preserved too...and a C&O or VGN 2-6-6-6...and the list goes on and on...

SO on to my handle. Well, my fictitious railroad is the Ocali Creek Railway (a subsidiary of the great VGN Railway...which I fell in love with while studying the N&W, for which my grandfather was a gandy dancer/car knocker/shop worker for 40 years...after which he 'retired' to 7 seasons of work as fireman/engineer at Tweetsie RR in NC, where my love of steam was born). Ocali was the chief of a tribe related to the Seminole tribe in central Florida for which the town of Ocala was named, where I was raised. My railway is not located in Florida, but in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains where I was born.

ocalicreek is also my Yahoo groups name.
  5. Tommybza

Tommybza Member

I would have to admit bza was not the easyest to learn how to write in cursive , with this still in my head , when i was able to start to build my lay out I knew it would not be easy so on . I really enjoy building my lay out .and that is why i still print today C.P S got to love em . and to Torpedo my Dad was in town last week and we were talking about the torpedo , ol grand Dad had a zillion of those in the shed . along with his back up fuse stash . great colors those had .
    Tommy bza
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

I have had my handle for a long, long time on many different forums. I have spent the last 20 years living at 9,000 feet in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies, on a 3 mile dirt road that climbs 1,00 feet per mile. (How's that for a grade?)

My wife and I prefer to live away from the maddening crowd, are both very self-sufficient, and suffer neither fools nor intruders very gladly, just like the mountain men of yore.
  7. Why me

Why me Member

Well my user names say it all im 22stone in real life due to the pills i take for my health made put on loads of weight hence im called fatso im not offended by being called it in real life if it meant in a nice way.mike
  8. trainnut65

trainnut65 Member

Ok here it is. train nut......... get it HEHE i thought you would. and the 65 is the year i was born 1965
  9. jesso

jesso Member

Jesso was my nickname in high school because no one could say my last name.

10. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Hooknlad - Retired Volunteer Fire Fighter City of Perth Amboy., NJ , and retired member of the now defunct Humane Hook N Ladder, Truck Company #3 ... When Aol was in its infancy, they wouldnt allow HooknLadder., too many letters .
  11. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I use this name on other railroad-related sites. I wanted a username that wasn't my real name, was thematically appropriate, fairly short, pronounceable (even though I'm unlikely to say it out loud), and had no numbers in it. A common theme for usernames on these sites is naming yourself after a locomotive. If I had named myself after my actual favorite locomotive, I'd be "Conrail4100" or something like that. I realized that most locomotives, especially diesels, would require numbers and sound cumbersome. What did I like that had a good name? I briefly considered something involving "Shark" before remembering one of my favorite steam oddities: the Erie Railroad 2-8-8-8-2s. I'm not a big Erie fan - I was more a PRR/Conrail guy - but the name sounded memorable, so I took it. After a while, I discovered a slight flaw: Sometimes, people shortened it to "Trip". I associate that name with a character on Star Trek: Enterprise who I don't like.
  12. stripes

stripes Member

Stripes was the name of a very , very sick stray cat I found while helping at an animal rescue group. He was really on his death bed with kidney failure, not to mention all the damage from being an old alley cat for years. Well, I brought him to the Vet, and he was so mean they could not even feed him. So I went every day and feed him myself.(lots of bite`s)
    Two weeks latter, and $1,200.00 he was able to go home with me. He was with me for 3 years and never left my side. He turned out to be a best friend. Unfortunatly in his travels he had contracted FIV (feline aids) and past away. I have tears in my eyes as I think about him now.

13. Chad

Chad Member

Well... I have nothing to claim or hide, it's who I really am. :D
  14. IandOFan71

IandOFan71 Member

The first part of my name is born from my love for the Indiana and Ohio Railroad. The I&O took over operations on the line in my hometown after CSX:curse: left town. I soon made some friends on the railroad and got to take a cab ride on the entire line. At the age of 13 it's something I will never forget.
    The second part of my name was beacuse of a mistake. After my train ride, I drew a picture of the locomotive that I rode on and presented it to the employees to show my appreciation for the cab ride. The unit I drew was ex-C&O GP9 #63. However a few days later one of my railroad friends informed me that I actually drew the I&O's lone GP18 #71 but lettered it for #63. Being 13 I didn't really know the difference between the two and I just happened to have a picture of a GP18 in front of me when I drew it. So had I not made the mistake my name would have been IandOFan63 instead of IandOFan71.
  15. xbbox

xbbox Member

Well, I drive a Scion xB, and it looks like a box, so there you go, lol.

16. Go Big1

Go Big1 Member

Go Big1 basically refers to my real last name, which is Goebig. When I got my drivers license way back in the 80's and bought my first car, the State had vanity plates that you could apply for, so I applied for and got "GOEBIG1" as my license plate. When the internet came into existence, I used either "goebig1" or "Go Big1" as my handle on many email accounts, forums and gaming sites. If any of you ever get shot by Go Big1 playing SOCOM online, you just got knocked off by me! :D

By the way, if you ever meet someone with the last name Goebig, I can pretty much guarantee that they are in some way related to me. It's a pretty unique last name.
  17. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

Banks is my last name. It is well given to all kinds of mischief for usernames. Wabash Banks is a really interesting name and I use it so much it is nearly an alias. I haven't signed any checks yet as Wabash, but it has stuck very well with me. It is interesting because it is a nice generalized name. It isn't totally railroad, although I haven't met anyone who took the time to email me that thought it was anything but a great railroad name, and it isn't totally linked with a geographic place either, yet I have found MANY have spent time along the Wabash River in Indiana or Illinois. Funny thing is I have only seen the Wabash a couple of times and only then in passing. It just happened to be the river I picked.
    I did try to convince my wife we should name our daughter Robin. It almost worked until she caught on to what I was doing. Just as well though. She would never have been able to get a job in the financial industry!
  18. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

When I signed on, I couldn't think of anything more creative than "RobertInOntario" ! Now that I've thought about it for awhile, I have a couple ideas for a new one so maybe I'll change my user name at some point (if I can).

On another railway forum, I go by "Green Diesel" because there is a a heritage train north of Toronto that uses three 1950s CN diesels & they have a green and yellow livery. My sons and I refer to this train as the "Green Diesel". Since we're members of that railway and like riding it, I chose that name.

19. Twiget

Twiget Member

TWIGET: US Navy slang for an Electronics Technician. I am a retired Navy Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer. :thumb: :D :thumb:

20. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

I go by CNWman because of total chance of what my first engine's roadname was: Chicago and North Western. Even had the little herald w/ the logo on the front. Now it hauls 4 boxcars, 3 hoppers, one tank car, and how can you call it a train without the little red caboose?:D I'd post pics but even renaming the file isn't working for some reason. Oh well:rolleyes: :)