Story Behind Your User Name

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by SeriousSam, Apr 7, 2007.

1. SeriousSam

SeriousSam Member

I know this isnt directly related to trains, but it kind of is. Many of you guys and gals chose your favorite line, or scale, or locomotive as, or in some way influenced, as your user name. Some of yall just use your first and last name. Others, use a name that has to do with a different hobby that you may have. I would like to know the story behind your username. If there is no story, then please let us know why you chose it. I will start with mine.

This might surprise some of you, but my name is not Sam. Another surprise is that Im not really a serious kind of guy. The name SeriousSam comes from a video game character, that in one of his mini in-game movies, he actually rides a train and he puts on this cowboy hat and accidentally hits some rail construction workers.

Attached Files:

COMBAT Member

This is related to a screen name I use for Mulitplayer gaming I do. I use the same one for all the mulitplayer games and have for years. I have only seen one other person with it, so I am happy with it being unique.

As far as why Combat, thats is simple. As a kid I watched a T.V. show starring Vic Morrow and the show was called, COMBAT! I was playing a World War II first person shooter game and needed a name. I remembered COMBAT the show and chose that name because COMBAT was set in WWII as well. Seemed to make since at the time. :)

NEXT. :)
  3. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

4. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

JR = Me
    &SON = The 5 year old

5. coachsig

coachsig Member

No explanation necessary really...have been coaching high school football and track for 38 years. Also have coached wrestling, baseball and girls' softball! All comes to an end shortly...diabetes and heart problems have forced my MDs to give me the ultimatum...coaching or wife has taken their side.
    Maybe the free time can be filled with model RRing?!?
  6. scubadude

scubadude Member

I have been in the scuba diving industry for 20 years. I have been everything from a Divemaster in the Caribbean to a dive store owner here in North Texas. I have logged some 5000 dives all over the world and have taught several hundred people to dive. I'm more comfortable 100' down on a shipwreck than I am on deck. So I guess it stands to reason I am Scubadude..........
  7. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

i love to model the steel industry and operations,and im a rather "large" person LOL.--josh
  8. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

I started out with a 4x8 layout and one day when my wife came home from work it had grown to a 5x12. She said my layout had GREWSOME. That was the same day I joined The Gauge, so I chose that handle.
    BTW, SeriosSam, this is a real interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.

9. nachoman

nachoman Guest

i seem to be the only person daring enough to eat the nachos from the gas station...

10. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

What was I thinking? droid3913 is my IM screen name! KF4JQD is my Amateur Radio Callsign given to me by the FCC! What was I thinking!
  11. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Mine is pretty much self explanatory, trucklover, that means, I REALLY LIKE TRUCKS!!! pick-ups and Big Rigs.

When I was little, my grandma babysat me and we used to go on lots of drives because that's what would put me to sleep. I member I used to see these HUGE things that were way bigger than the thing we were in (which was a car) so I always pointed to them. My grandma told me they were trucks. That was one of my first words believe it or not right after mom and dad. When ever I saw a truck, I would say truck. I soon got used to the rides and I no longer was falling asleep in the car, instead I watched and looked at the trucks. My grandma bought me those old matchbox trucks and that is what I would play with for hours. Now I model trucks in HO scale and have a collection over 500 so far and it still growing. I also love construction equipment and yes, you guessed it, TRAINS.

There is my story behind my username :D

12. KATY

KATY Member

I work for Cargill and manage what is called the Katy elevator in Kansas City, Kansas. Used to be owned by the Katy railroad, but since 1988 has been owned by the Union Pacific. At least the land it sits on anyway.

The plant has been owned by various grain companies throughout its 85 year history, but regardless has always been known as the Katy elevator. While I primarily model the UP on my layout, thought Katy would be a pretty good name to use. :wave:

Attached Files:

13. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, that is an awesome grain building, I want to model something like that lol
  14. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

lol, you have an understanding wife, DIVORCED or ALIMONY could have been a good alias
  15. RC BOAT

RC BOAT New Member

My name comes from having built Radio Controlled Model Boats since I was about 12 years old. About 3 years ago I decided that lugging hundred pound boats around 3 nites a week was way too much work for this old body. Over the years I had built scale boats from the size of an HO Scale tug boat, to a 1/96th scale model of the USS Missouri, which was just under 10 feet in length. I sold off 43 boats, and was left with 60 plus feet of empty work bench, and nothing to do. In the early days of N-Scale, I had built a door size layout for my sons and remeber how I enjoyed building it. So now I am trying to fill up that empty work bench. Most of the RR is scratch built, including rolling stock, I like the late 1800's as a time frame and not much is available commercially.
    Here is a pic of the Mighty Mo out on the water.

Attached Files:

16. Marxed

Marxed Member

certain trains rock.
  17. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Have you ever done the wall dive on the outside of Molikini, Maui?
  18. SeriousSam

SeriousSam Member

Some of these are really interesting. i like how some go back waaaaaaaaaay back. thanks for the replies yall. Keep em comin'
  19. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

I just thought up something railroad oriented that no one else was using, at least on this board.

For those that don't know, a torpedo is a small explosive charge that is strapped to the rails by a crew member flagging to protect his train. If a following train's engineer fails to see the flagman's flag or lantern, he will hear the sound of the torpedo going off over the noise of the locomotive and immediately apply the brakes, at least in theory.

And then there was Casey Jones . . .

As far as I know, radios have obviated the need for torpedoes on today's railroads.
  20. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

My first trainset was a Lionel Cannonball set.
    Pretty simple actually. ;)