Stormtrooper One/Blastech E-11 Blaster Rifle

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

The nine-year-old was forgivable, because who expects nine-year-olds to be able to act well, even prodigies? But the nineteen-year-old was a bit wooden.

Acting comments aside, I am attempting to create an actual folding stock, and I'll let you know when that's done. It'll make this look more like a Sterling.
  2. Millenniumfalsehood

Got some more work done:

The circular doohickie on the grip and the first part of the folding stock. I found two great pictures on the net which show the right and left side of a Sterling.

Here's an extreme closeup of the circular doohickie. It has the flathead bolt in the center, just like a real Sterling. I don't want to spare any expense, including time, to get this looking right, and that means any part worth building will not be a mere texture.

I also put on the strap loop for the sling. It should be rotated 90 degrees in other versions of the Sterling, so I'll make a note depending on which version you build.

Here's the barrel, complete with hex-bolts:

3. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Millenium, looking good!:thumb: What are you using in terms of CAD software?

KEEP IT GOING!:mrgreen:

4. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

OK, I am officialy a moron.:oops: If I had only looked closer at the pics, sorry.

With that being said, How long have you been using Meta. I have started to use it along with Jaybats tutorial. His tutorial is a big help. Although I can only really make primitives, and manipulate them at this point, it is a starting point!

The blind man is now signing off.

5. Millenniumfalsehood

Actually I just started using Meta in January of this year and in February I created the Arc Hammer and the Moldy Crow. So you don't have to worry about being a moe-ron for much longer. sign1

Before I quit today I got a little further with the model:

The butt of the stock and the front iron sight were the latest additions. The remaining things to do:

Rear sight
    Trigger and guard
    Safety switch
    Vent holes
    Receiver and ejection port
    Cocking lever

Then the following additions to turn it into a Blastech E-11:

Accessory rack
    Shot counter
    Cooling fins
    Greebles on the side of the barrel
    Plugs for the ejector and cocking lever
    Short magazine

I can't believe how just adding a few shapes to this in the right configuration is making this look like a Sterling, but it's a-gettin' there! :D I should be done in a few days if I keep at it. :cool:

I'll release this in two versions:

Version one will have full texturing and weathering, and version two will be vanilla so you can simply paint it and not have to use up all that black ink.
  6. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

January? You must learn fairly quickly. Did you have any CAD experience before that?
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

8. Millenniumfalsehood

Yeah, but where's the fun in that, Stevo? :mrgreen:

Itla, I had some limited CAD experience, but the program I was using was for CAM, computer-aided manufacture. It wasn't designed to make paper models, and I had to relearn how to model in Metasequoia. However, the learning curve is pretty low, so I don't think you'll have much trouble if you can already assemble models and figure out how the parts go. :thumb:
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Update on the blaster:

I cut holes in the barrel for the ejection port and cocking system and finished the cocking lever and mechanism for the Sterling, which I then copied for the plug for the E-11 Blaster. I then made the magazine receiver and a Sterling mag. There will be two magazines for both the Sterling and E-11 Blaster, just in case you feel like taping them together(though not quite enough to tape as many together as this fellow.)

10. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, the Sterling is almost done. I'm delaying a bit on the barrel, because I don't have the full version of Meta and I have to drill about 72 holes in the barrel, which would be a lot easier with the Boolean plugin, so I'm probably going to do that with a texture. But the thing is, I think it'll look better in Meta and Pepakura if the holes are actually there, because the barrel is actually inside the muzzle.

I just finished the rear sight, the rest of the folding stock, the trigger, and the trigger guard.

11. crimson

crimson Member

Just an opinion here, but I think it would probably be better to do the holes as part of the texture. Even if you used 16 segmet holes, that would add over 1000 vertices to the model. I am sure pepakura can handle that, but you just know it would split the barrel into about 30 seperate parts that you would then have to piece back together again.
    If they are part of the texture, you can have 'perfect' circles to cut-out and a simpler model to work with in Pep' and the end result would be the same. (mind you, if I was doing the 3d model, I would want to put the holes in too!)
  12. Millenniumfalsehood

Well I would, but the thing is certain features depend on the location of the vent holes, such as the heat sink fins and the accessory rail. I also really hate texturing, so I want to just make a generic textured black in Paint.NET and slap that on the model.

Now that I think about it, if I just use textures, I can't release a vanilla model to save people ink, because the holes would disappear. Pepakura doesn't usually cut up stuff that falls into a plane relative to the rest of the object, at least not in a way that makes it difficult for me to disguise the cuts, so I won't worry about that. Guess I'm stuck with cutting up the barrel, reconnecting the vertices to 72 little circles, then deleting the circles.
  13. crimson

crimson Member

Hey Milleniumfalsehood, how's this project going? I was thinking about an easy way to cut 70-odd holes in a tube and I wondered if you had considered the following.

Now, I've never used Metasequoia and I don't know all the limitations of the freeware version. But, how about you make a ring, the diameter of the barrel and cut 8 holes in it (some of which may be possible by mirroring and copying). Then offset 4 of the holes as in the drawings below

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then make 10 (?) copies of it

and stitch them together

add the receiver end and the end of the barrel and you're done. (OK, so there's a bit of messing around deleting some holes 'cos some rows have 10, some have 9). Any help?

I am really looking forward to the progress on this one
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Wow! That's a great idea! Indecently, that's why I'd been stuck; nothing I was trying was working well enough to suit me. Plus, I am using the freeware version, so I can't just cut holes. Thanks!:thumb:

Okay, tried it out and came up with this :cool: :

15. crimson

crimson Member

Lookin' Good :thumb:
  16. clif52

clif52 Banned

Looking very good! I envy you guys designing in 3D. I've worked print for so long I don't if I could learn 3D.
  17. Sporak

Sporak New Member

Wow this is looking Great!
    I can't wait for it... :)

Maybe an Old Ben Lightsaber next? ;)
  18. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Looking super MF! It's good to see this being done! I've been watching but haven't posted until now.

I've been modelling SW Weapons too lately so seeing this is great!
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

I was thinking of doing lightsabers eventually. :)

I haven't been doing much with this, besides deleting faces and re-making them in the original object. I've also been busy mastering a resin AT-PT.
  20. Kjev

Kjev Member

I know the feeling. The models I've designed I laid out in Illustrator and colored in Photoshop. While I can look at a shape, rotate it in my head and lay the parts out on paper fairly well, working with 3D models is a whole new ballgame.

I tried Metasequoia, and got frustrated. I'm now learning Sketchup, more to understand the basic concepts than anything else. After that, I may move on to Metesequoia again.

Just remember, your limits exist only in your mind, and no one here will criticize you for struggling. We were all beginners at some point in life.