stormtalon by newobmij

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You did a FANTASTIC job on this model. The work and detail that you put into this model really paid off. I like all that you did with this project, detailing the main gun and making it rotate, having the canopy open and close, separating compressor blades and making the engines rotate.
Thank you for the links to the rotating viewer of your models. I like the hotspot points that describe the detailed components of your model.

I am looking forward to seeing your next project.

Z

Zathros

Terrinecold, you kicked butt on this model! Is the .pdf you made detailed like the one you made? I am loving this ship. Excellent job!! :)

The PDF used for template is the same as the ultramarine one but for the color. The Few changes I had to do for the detailing are on a separate not yet annotated one. I could clean it up and upload it

Z

Zathros

Well, that model is really been "spruced up" by you. I think one with your suggestions would be a great service. :)

silveroxide

storm Talon

exelente la storm talom me encanto es la de eli patoroch??

No, este es un deseno de newobmij y modificado por terinecold. Los planes se pueden encontrar aqui en las descargas.

No, this is a design by newobmij and modified by terrinecold. The plans can be found here in the downloads.

Enjoy and give it a try as well.

Here are the things I did different compared to the base model, to describe in this post I'll use the part numbers on the annotated version of the ultramarine pdf which has been uploaded to the download section of this forum.
1) in addition to the ordinary template I print the 2 pdfs attached, they are modified version of page 1 and 2. They contain both parts that are necessary and parts that I have not really needed but left there since there was space on the paper and I often need a few more pieces of paper with the same coloring to do little additions like reinforcement or redoing a part if I am unhappy with the first assembly
2) modified cannons. on both modified pages you'll find 6 barrels to roll (note that on the page 3 I have lined them up so that they can be rolled 3 by 3, I hadn't thought of that initially. The black cylinder next to the barrels are the center part which is the axis of the gun. I just roll the barrels, glue them around the axis and then build the regular gun but cut it in half so only the rear half of the gun is left, this is used to hold the barrels which are glued inside.
3) modified nozzles for engine (31 and 38) and vtol thrusters (16, 17, 18, 19). When you print the 2 above sheets you'll have 2 of each of those parts. For each of them I color the reverse side of one completely black it will be the outside of the nozzle and will be cut out, the reverse side of the other duplicate is colored so as to look as if there was a flame in it, irregular bands yellow then orange then red then black. I then cut along the lines of the printed decorations to create little moving flaps on the outside of the nozzle(careful for the part 31 and 38 you will need to make sure for the 2 lower rows of flaps to leave a strip of about 1mm of paper uncut). I laminate both version of each parts (inside and outside) together making sure the flaps don't get stuck one on the other, then I roll the nozzle the way it was intended and finally I use liquid cyanoacrilate glue poured on the nozzle to solidify it.
4) modified cockpit. on the first modified template I have a new part which was formed by modifying the pieces that are together of the cockpit (it is bellow part 1). This is used as a template to cut out the cockpit glass from transparency paper (I think it is called rhodoid, it used to be used to project from retroprojectors during my school days). I fold the cockpit then glue the side windows together with another strip of the same material (I used UHU when I did it, other glues would probably work) I have a hard time avoiding glue marks at that step on the edges, but fortunately in the case of a war40k vehicle it looks more like weathering and marks of a hard life which is good. when I build part 1 I remove the windows with a knife then glue the cockpit from the inside when building the part. I have cut out the side and front of the cockpit to make it openable, it may not be worth it. One thing I did was fill up the part 1 with depron layers stacked on top of each other (leaving cut outs for a pilot) to have more rigidity.
5) modified compressor. I cut out the drawing of the compressor on the engine, the modified version of 34 and 41 which are sligthly enlarged where used. On the compressor drawing I have cut each radial mark and most of the outside of each blade making sure there is still at least .5 mm of paper in the corner still holding the blade, then with twizzers I have twisted each blade. I then use cyanoacrilate to coat each blade and make them resistant as otherwise they are very fragile. I build part 34 and 41 and glue them to my compressor assembly and finally I glue that assembly to the engine part that I have built separately.

Finally I had trouble making the "petals" of parts 33 and 40, this shows that I have never really done model airplanes in paper. I just replaced them by cones of the same color, which I carved out of some of the extra parts I printed.

don't forget to take a look at Silveroxide build thread (not finished at the time of this post)
He details both how to build the template and how he improves on it.

not sure were exactly but newobmij usually posts them to /po on 4chan. Try googling for stormtalon newobmij. If you don't find them I'll look it up again

silveroxide

Once you have met the waiting period for the free downloads, you can get the plans here in the warhammer downloads section. There are a couple of us who have made this model, check out the build threads. the model does go together well.

silveroxide

While you wait, download some of Patoroch's design here in this thread, they are readily available. If you are looking for flyers, you can find the thunderbolt and marauder in this thread as well. You may have to go back a bit but it is there. Browse the forum to see if someone else has built them and go to it. Enjoy and see you around the forum.