stormtalon by newobmij

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
pretty much done, the only thing is that I still couldn't figure out what parts 29/36 are for.
I'll paint and pretty up the stand, it is still in rough cardboard.
Of course the turret and the engines can rotate.

A note, I found a much nicer and less labor intensive way to make the rivets pop out more:
1) I use a needle to make a barely visible hole in the middle of the rivet drawing this is to position them on the reverse of the paper
2) I put the paper on top of a slightly giving surface (cutting mat, a magazine some such) and I push on the reverse side of the paper where the small hole was with the ball of a ball point pen so as to make a bump on the rivet.

Thanks to newobmij for the template.

Attachments

• stormtalon8.jpg
    stormtalon8.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 42
  • stormtalon9.jpg
    stormtalon9.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 39
Z

Zathros

I think it came out really nice. Thanks for your annotated .pdf. :)

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
any suggestions to improve on the base (short of buying one from GW). I am currently thinking about painting it light blue, another idea I have floating in my head is to use a clear plastic throwaway champagne flute.

Z

Zathros

The clear plastic looks good, though I think a clear rod, maybe heated and bent, makes the craft looks like it's flying! I used a piece of welding rod for my sons science project, and the L.E.M. space craft look like it was floating, as the wire was so thin. A clear lexan or clear plastic shaft would do the same thing, and a little heat bends these things quite easily. :)

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
as I don't have a clear rod underhand I'll try with the flutes that I just bought. The idea is definitely to make the craft look like it is flying I'll also need to do something for the bottom of the base. About the welding rod, I don't weld so I wouldn't know but isn't that metallic, not clear?

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
thank you.
Here is the current status (I could put back the previous stand for the talon and like you paint it one color and add a nice name plate at the bottom)

Attachments

• stormtalon and stormraven.jpg
    stormtalon and stormraven.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 38

wlock

Aug 22, 2007
Geneva
Hi terrinecold,

could you post more pictures of the model? all the lower part for example. I am half way done but it looks like parts are missing or were modified. Closeups would really help everybody trying to build it :mrgreen:

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
did you download my annotated version of the pdf, it should help, first because you can reference the parts that you don't understand by numbers and second because I wrote about what each are for.
I'll post more pictures

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
as requested 3 belly pics. They show just how much I messed up with the left side vtol thrusters (as you can see the rear one is partially over the crossed shape hole) as well as the turret base which is not centered.

Attachments

• stormtalon belly 1.jpg
    stormtalon belly 1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 50
  • stormtalon belly 2.jpg
    stormtalon belly 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 33
  • stormtalon belly 3.jpg
    stormtalon belly 3.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 101

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
Hello,
a question to the more veteran war40k modeler out there. My son got the latest edition box for his birthday so now he wants me to make him one of those to the dark angels color.
If you look at the pdf from the blood raven stormtalon I think I can make one by just changing a few colors and replacing the raven symbol.
The color used in the blood raven version are the following:

#84282e; red
#d83b41; light red (borders just before the black line)
#f79aaa; lighter red (tabs color)
#5f2629; dark red ( few places)

I am thinking to replace them by those
#445016; dark green
#668000; light green
#cdde87; lighter green
#112B00; darker green

For a result which looks like the attached image (note that I have note replaced the symbol).
Do you think those colors are right, do you have any suggestions (best if the suggestion come with either hexa code for colors or a small picture with said color.

Also if you want to do such a recolor, I don't know what is the best solution but I am doing it the following way:
1) I open the pdf file in inkscape and ungroup until the individual elements are not grouped
2) I save as svg
3) I ask inkscape to show me the xml of the file
4) I identify one of the element I want to recolor in inkscape by tapping on it and I look in the xml what is the color of its fill
5) I change the color to the one I want and find the code in the xml
6) I open the svg in a text editor and replace all instances of the old color code with the new one.

This works well for a small example like this but could get boring quickly.
I think there is an inkscape functionality to do it without the text editor but I can't get it to work on my mac.

I am open to suggestion of a better way.

Attachments

• stormtalon bloodangels.jpg
    stormtalon bloodangels.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 63

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
For coloring warhammer40k figures and stuff I would recommend to go to dakkadakka.. http://www.dakkadakka.com/ Go ahead and get the free membership. I have uploaded some of my paper models there as well (I am silveroxide, there as well) and it is a good wealth of information for future 40K modeling. Enjoy and see you around the forums

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
OK I started on the red storm talon, but I am adding a twist, a clear cockpit (although I won't do much in term of interior but I'm planning on putting a pilot in there.
I have been consolidating the body and cockpit insides with depron to make for a stronger craft.
As you can see in the pictures right now I have made the cockpit so it can open and close, it will eventually be glued shut because as is there are gaps all around in the closed position.

Attachments

• stormtalon clear cockpit 3.jpg
    stormtalon clear cockpit 3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 37
  • stormtalon clear cockpit.jpg
    stormtalon clear cockpit.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 50
  • stormtalon clear cockpit 2.jpg
    stormtalon clear cockpit 2.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 84

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
A trick to keep the cockpit canopy from collapsing inwrd, is to make a thin strip to the inside of the cockpit. When the canopy comes down, it contacts the extended strip and keeps the canopy in line, I did something similar a while back on a manned walker but it disappeared from my history here. My thread on it is over at another papermodeling site.http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/...s/26838d1254499722-manned-walker-mech-024.jpg The cockpit has a thin strip in black around the inside edge. I di not know if you are a member there. You may have to join to see the photos. Too bad my build got deleted here but the finished build is in my gallery here in a gararge diorama. Enjoy and see you around the forums.

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
Looking at it now. I am a member. And I see the band you are talking about.
UPDATE: with pictures

Attachments

• stormtalon cockpit5.jpg
    stormtalon cockpit5.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 87
  • stormtalon cockpit 4.jpg
    stormtalon cockpit 4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 40

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
While looking at my old build thread on the manned walker, An Idea came to me. Take the fuselage of the Storm Talon and make attach it to some kind of legs like the Mech Walker or the Sentinel. Something to think about for the future. Good job on the build. It would look more great with a detailed cockpit but it maybe later in the next build. Waiting to see more. See you around the forums.