Storing your Trains

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by spankybird, Oct 14, 2005.

1. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

We made our own modular shelves. The shelf units are made from 1” x 6” and 1” x 4” for the two sides (LH & RH).

We made this as a box frame, with 1” x 4” for the two sides (LH & RH) and the shelf units are made from 1” x 6”.

I use 1 x 6 cut to 3 ½ “ long and screwed to the sides to provide a spacer for the shelf.

The shelf themselves are 1 x 6. This will allow 2 rows of O gauge cars on them.

I make mine 4 feet long, this is common shelving wood at many home improvement stores.

I make on set at 4 feet high and a second one at 2 foot high. Added together it makes a 6 foot high shelf, which clears most ceilings.

2. Spankybird, That looks really good. Nice job. Are you going to paint,

or stain the shelves? Or leave them as is???

3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

For the past 6 years, they have been plain
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Nice bit of carpentry! I like the idea of trains stored in sight. Mine are kept in a wooden dresser with drawers that I divided into strips with 1X4s to create narrow channels in each to hold cars in place so they don't shift when I open and close the drawers. Works but you can't see 'em though! :)

Nice job!
  5. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I useed those slotted bracets and puine shelving painted white. I laid old track down that I painted grey and blocked the ends of it.

It all sort of blendend into the walls
  6. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Thanks Tom. Been complaining about now where to put rolling stock until I get train room done. Got small book case I can adapt and then maybe build one of those too. Put it in the other room until I get layout going. Thanks
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Tom, those are nice. I had a friend help me build a set for myself. We used 1x6s and since he has a table saw, he dadoed the sides so we just needed one board per side. He also cut slots for the wheels so I didn't have to lay track.

Now I just need to get enough wood to make about three more. :)
  8. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Thanks Dave,

When I built the first 3 I didn't have access to either a table or radial saw. So I used my hand held cycler saw. That is why I build it this way. Now I have a radial saw, but they are all done.

9. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Thanks for sharing the photos and the "how to" of building your storage and display shelves. Nicely done!
  10. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

It's my pleasure :)