Storage?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I don't have a large expansive collection of diesels and rolling stock, but storage is a problem. Right now, all the diesels are in their respective boxes packed in a larger box. All the better rolling stock are in their cases, packed in the same box as the engines. Although this keeps everything together, it's a pain to take what you'd like to see out, then return it later.

Where do you keep the trains that aren't on the tracks?

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
good use for old track

I had inherited several pieces of flextrack that were brass rail with fiberboard or plastic ties. This had been just taking up room. My Dad and I built a set of shelves (just 1"x3"s) that were three feet wide and set the flex track on that. Then I could display many items I didn't want to run but weren't being enjoyed in boxes beneath the layout. We did not add any doors, but I suppose it wouldn't have been too difficult to get plexiglass with hinges and a latch. Maybe you've got some old track laying around and some free wall space? Go another step and add some inexpensive track lighting to highlight them. Paint the shelves in your favorite railway's color scheme, or some color that complements them.

Galen

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Herc,

I've showcase for my favourite engines. I keep the rest the same way you do. Yes, it's a pain, it would be more pain if the trains are damaged because of wrong storage.
BTW AF, AF RES, ANG?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks guys...I guess storing them in the original containers is the best...just a pain to get 'em out then put them away. Although I'd really like to have a few feet of flex or EZ-track and have some of them displayed on wall shelves or display cases. I had an idea way back when on using a wooden kitchen silverware holder, turned on it's side, as a display case. It was cheap compared to the wall display cases for trains listed in MRR and other places. I thought it'd be perfect for Nscale...the openings are just the right size for an engine and a few cars. I found a good looking wooden holder at a Linen's and Things that I still might try and use for a display case. Just another thing on my to-do list...

Caliban - North Carolina ANG for 3 yrs now and counting...was active-duty USAF for almost 11 yrs.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just a thought, but I had a problem finding a place and as a temporary solution, I bought a cheap metal tool cabinet at Harbor Freight. Works fine now and when I get some wall-mounted storage cabinets built, I can always use this cabinet for tools. :thumb: There are 11 drawers total in this cabinet and I think I got it on sale for around $80. Right now the top storage bin is being used for whatever I can dump into it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've also seen people use things like a drafting file. The drawers are narrow enough, but usually they are large and kind of awkward. In this "paperless" drafting age, one should be able to find these cabinets easily.

Attachments

• Storage cab.jpg
    Storage cab.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 137

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I went out to the sporting goods store and bought the biggest cheapest fishing kit I could find. While it does not have as much room as Dons, it easily holds several passenger trains, and enough rolling stock to make up a 50 car train. Where it does trump Dons is in portability. This is what I take back and forth to the club twice a week. Somewhere I thought I heard that it was better to store your engines in an upright position... something about the lubrication staying where it's supposed to.

Attachments

• DCP_4217.JPG
    DCP_4217.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DCP_4216.JPG
    DCP_4216.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 126

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Those are great ideas! I had been using some smaller plastic versions of that Plano tacklebox...but that size just might be perfect and at a good price since fishing is going out of season around these parts. I noticed the non-skid covering in there too...good idea.

Don - that is an impressive "train box" there! I also see some serious Santa Fe in there too!

Thanks guys for the pictures :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TrainNut said:
... Where it does trump Dons is in portability. This is what I take back and forth to the club twice a week. Somewhere I thought I heard that it was better to store your engines in an upright position... something about the lubrication staying where it's supposed to.
Waduyamean, I have portablility.... mine has four casters and a handle...sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

Good point about storing locos upright. Don't know about that, but I'm willing to listen.:wave: My theory is that every engine you buy is in a box and it's laying on its side, if the manufacturer does it that way, why shouldn't I do likewise?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm not sure if that theory holds water, but it's a good excuse for storing them the way I do.:D :D

And yah, I remember seeing your tackle box when you were running trains up a the club. Neat idea...:thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I have Showcase Express wall units that I picked up at a local flea market for about 10 cents on the dollar. The rest I store in nested boxes I built from particle board and light plywood. Eventually I will line those with automotive headliner fabric. They all sit in a cradle with casters on it to ease rolling it under the layout.

Attachments

• layouttuora.JPG
    layouttuora.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 120
  • layouttourb.JPG
    layouttourb.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 118

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I'm almost positive a recent issue of MRR had an article about storage. Then again, my MRR collection dates back to the 50's...so I could be thinking of something else. Still though, I'll browse through some and see if anything comes up.

I remember thinking there were a few good ideas in there.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I have a few Showcase-express shelves (2 HO, 6 N) on my walls for my stuff.

I just recently placed an order for a different style of shelf at http://www.railrax.net They're $15 for a shelf compared to $70 for the Showcase-express. Although nicer, I just can't fork out that much now for a display shelf. And these are 6' wide, instead of 4'.

Unfortunantly, my order from last week is listed as "on hold" and I don't know why yet. Hopefully they still make/sell the things. *crosses fingers*

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
nolatron said:
They're $15 for a shelf compared to $70 for the Showcase-express. Although nicer, I just can't fork out that much now for a display shelf.

Shaun, mine were just one of those "right place, right time deals". I bought a total of 22 of the HO sections, caps and all for $110. The original owner used them to display his diecast car collection. Sold some, gave some to a close friend, ending up with what's pictured for about $60. Still walking on air 6 months later...

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
eightyeightfan1 said:
So Don..You keep rolling stock in your tool box. Let me guess...You keep the tools on the layout????
Yep, that's where they get the most use so I might as well just leave them there. If I had a toolbox for my tools I probably wouldn't put them there anyway, just ask my wife. "Honey, would you come here in my trainroom and help me find my _______ " (just insert the name of any tool)...:rolleyes: tooth1 :rolleyes: hamr stooges8

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
shaygetz said:
Shaun, mine were just one of those "right place, right time deals". I bought a total of 22 of the HO sections, caps and all for $110. The original owner used them to display his diecast car collection. Sold some, gave some to a close friend, ending up with what's pictured for about $60. Still walking on air 6 months later...

Wow. Sweet deal you got there. Do have to admit though, I really like the showcase-express stuff.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
nolatron said:
Do have to admit though, I really like the showcase-express stuff.

It is an easy to use bullet proof system, I do feel a bit more secure in huuricane country with my beasties in there. I noticed you are missing some end caps, do you need them? It looks like you're short four and I do have several extras, same for the Lexan covers, you're more than welcome to them. Apparently there were more shelves but someone got to them first, leaving the covers and ends behind.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
ezdays said:
Waduyamean, I have portablility.... mine has four casters and a handle...
Good point about storing locos upright. Don't know about that, but I'm willing to listen.:wave: My theory is that every engine you buy is in a box and it's laying on its side, if the manufacturer does it that way, why shouldn't I do likewise?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm not sure if that theory holds water, but it's a good excuse for storing them the way I do.:D :D
Don, nice to see that little hospital visit didn't tame you down; still feisty as ever! Welcome back!
As far as upright lubricated loco's (no jokes on that one... don't even go there), hear me out on this one... the manufacturer wants to sell these engines based on curb appeal; hence the little window in the front and sometimes the back. Therefore, shouldn't the box be shelved upright so that the locomotive IS properly displayed? Now, the LHS wants to stack as many of these on their shelves as possible and it would seem that makes more sense to lay the box down...more stable...can stack them higher; hence, now the little window on the front and back are now on the top and bottom. I'm going out on a limb here but I think the manufacturers have thought of this and the dealers are shooting themselves in the foot.
zedob said:
Hey, is that tacklebox HO scale?:D
Nahhhh, I only wish I could catch fish that big. I'm lucky if I can catch an N scale sized fish.
Herc Driver said:
I noticed the non-skid covering in there too...good idea.
Again, another lesson on why I stand my engines and rolling stock upright. After the first couple of weeks, I noticed that I had the most annoying little diamond shape patterns on the sides of everything that was laying down. It probably isn't noticeable to 9 out of 10 people but never-the-less, I know it's there. If I were to do it over, I would probably use felt. I just thought with the way I drive, the non-skid stuff would keep my couplers from getting banged up as everything sloshed from side/side and front/rear in their designated spaces. Even on their wheels, they don't roll anywhere.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TrainNut said:
Don, nice to see that little hospital visit didn't tame you down; still feisty as ever! Welcome back!
As far as upright lubricated loco's (no jokes on that one... don't even go there), hear me out on this one... the manufacturer wants to sell these engines based on curb appeal; hence the little window in the front and sometimes the back. Therefore, shouldn't the box be shelved upright so that the locomotive IS properly displayed? Now, the LHS wants to stack as many of these on their shelves as possible and it would seem that makes more sense to lay the box down...more stable...can stack them higher; hence, now the little window on the front and back are now on the top and bottom. I'm going out on a limb here but I think the manufacturers have thought of this and the dealers are shooting themselves in the foot...
I told you my theory wouldn't hold water, neither will my steam locos laying on their sides, I have to drain their boilers each time I put them in the drawer or they leak.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, the reason I have mine laying down is that I don't have dividers there and so when you open or close the drawer they won't slide around or tip over. Now there's a bit more substance to that rational.:D :D

And you'd be feisty too if all they did for four days is stick needles in you.fence1
847.gif

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I use drawer organizers from the dollar store (2 for $1 in the 3x9 size). They fit five to a level in a milk crate, and 4 levels fit in. The rolling stock goes on its side, and the length is suitable for most things up to 55 scale feet or so. Passenger cars require the 3x12 size.

Locos I store in the original boxes - where they lay on their sides... ;)

Andrew