Stop Me before I Mess Up Again

Grant B

Nov 1, 2004
San Francisco
My Layout has grown little by little but I think I have maxed out unless I get divorced. It is an L shape Pattern with the sections being 6x8 & 4x8.
I am using mainly American Flyer track & Switches with the rubber roadbed. I have some New K line track which is similiar and works with the roadbed
I also have a Gargrave Oval with (2) 3 foot flex sections.
I am trying to save some of my old layout on the 6x8 side and join it to the 4x8 side which is just plywood

Here is a few ideas; please feel free to shoot them down if you like.
The gargraves will be a stand alone oval. I seem to have troubles at switches and would like to run multiple trains at once.
I like multilevel train layouts and I was going to have 3 levels with the highest in the back mainly. Is it a good idea to have them change levels or keep them seperate. How much access should I have? Just enough for a arm or should I be able to pick up the top level to get below?

I love the old action accessories but it seems like some derail the trains so I am going to keep them on spurs mainly.
I keep lights on a seperate transformer but should I also do that for the action accessories since they are activated by the track thingy?

The rubber roadbed sometiimes keeps the track apart because it is a tiny bit longer than the track. Should I cut down the roadbed to advoid derailments?

Seems like being level is a good thing to keep everything running smoothly but how critical is it being perfectly level?

Any other ideas for my American Flyers would be greatly welcomed!
Grant

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Grant B said:
I like multilevel train layouts and I was going to have 3 levels with the highest in the back mainly. Is it a good idea to have them change levels or keep them seperate.
I guess it depends on what your preferences are. If you're mainly interested in watching the trains run, having the trains on separate levels would be the easiest way.
Grant B said:
How much access should I have? Just enough for a arm or should I be able to pick up the top level to get below?
You need to be able to reach in enough to build and maintain anything that you put down. If all you need is an arm hole to "put 'em back on track," then that will be fine.
Grant B said:
Seems like being level is a good thing to keep everything running smoothly but how critical is it being perfectly level?
Just get it as close as you can. If it's off a little bit, it probably won't be a big deal. Just test your trains out and see if they run smoothly. You can always shim things up if you have problems.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Sounds to me like you're going for trains that run vs. trains to operate. My Christmas layout has three separate loops on a 40"x58" platform. I built it this way to just run trains unattended with little regard for scale fidelity. You can see that the upper loop is separate from the lower two and none are interconnected in any way. Note also that there are three different types of roadbed/track; standard flex and cork, Bachmann E-Z track and Marklin's stamped steel three rail. I'm familiar with the AF rubber roadbed and would suggest tacking it down rather than trying to shave off any excess. Hoipe this helps :wave: :thumb: