"Stonewallin':" An Update

Originally posted by spitfire
Why aren't we seeing your work in MRR?

cheers
Val

Ummmm, I don't know. I guess because they haven't asked me. :confused: :D

I have had some articles and about a dozen photos published in Finescale Railroader in the last two or three years. It's been an "interesting" relationship because I model in HO standard gauge. By far the majority of FR's readers/subscribers model in large scale narrow gauge. I think they tolerate me... as some sort of comic relief. :D :D

Thanks for the kind comments, Val and Ralph. :)

bpate

Mar 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by Bob Collins
You can't ask Casey until you tell me where you are in OZ:D

I'm just back from a month in your wonderful country and am ready to hop back on the plane just as soon as I get the credit card paids off;)

Bob

Hello Bob, I'm in Melbourne and am pleased you enjoyed your visit. Come back soon and let me know if you are coming to Melbourne.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Hi Barry;

Spent about 5 days in Melbourne. Would certainly recommend it to anyone, especially anyone interested in traction. I rode lots and lots of streetcars (trams) while there. We stayed in a B&B out in the St. Kilda area. Had dinner one night at the Royal Auto Club of Victoria with some Rotary friends.

Left Melbourne on a rail:D :D Actually two of them as we rode the XPT from there to Sydney. Left from the Spencer Street Station as I recall. Also did Cairns and Brisbane. As I said, I would recommend a trip to OZ to anyone. Fantastic place because they are fantastic folks:) :) :) :)

Bob

Originally posted by bpate
Excellent work Mr C,

Can I ask what lighting and method of photography you use please?

Thanks, Barry.

Since I'm shooting with a digital camera, for lighting I use an ordinary 200w frosted incandescent bulb in a Smith-Victor reflector (on a stand) and a 300w clear incandescent bulb in another reflector/stand. Most/all of the room lights are on, although I usually shut off the layout lights.

(My primary layout lighting consists of GE Chroma 50 tubes in "shop light" fixtures. The Chroma 50's are daylight balanced and work well with daylight films, though I seldom shoot film anymore.)

I use a Minolta DiMage 7 that I've had for a couple of years and like very much. I normally set the white balance to incandescent rather than "auto WB" and turn the fluorescents off. If I decide to leave the fluorescents on while shooting, then I set the camera to "auto WB," because it handles mixed lighting sources very well.

I also usually tweak the contrast of each photo a bit and resize it for web posting using Photoshop.

bpate

Mar 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Casey for that information. I always like your work. It is a great inspiration. I have almost completed the first corner of my layout's landscaping and would like to photograph it so I could share it with you kind people. I wish I had discovered this hobby years ago. Now I just need a digital camera and lights! :)

It sounds like you had a good time Bob. So glad we kept the trams here in Melbourne. They are an institution. The main problem nowadays is they got rid of conductors so some people have trouble with the ticket machines.

Thank you Jon-Monon. Its a great forum.

Thanks, guys :)

I'm getting close to finishing the diorama. I have most of the detail parts now on it, but I decided to add a pillar crane to the dock. It's from SS Ltd. and the assembly of it is giving me fits! I'll post a photo or two when I have everything all wrapped up.