Stone bricks/blocks....

stonebuilder

I was wondering if there was a miniature brick/stone out there for purchase which is neither plastic, wood, or cut from real stone. I want something that looks and feels like stone, but isn't heavy. This would be for building castles, stone walls, etc. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Welcome to The Gauge!

Originally posted by stonebuilder
[B neither plastic, wood, or cut from real stone. I want something that looks and feels like stone, but isn't heavy. [/B]

If you don't want plastic, wood, or real stone, you could try carving stone walls directly in blue or pink foam, and painting, weathering, or even coating in sand to achieve a stone texture.

Good luck! Let's see some pictures when you are done!

Andrew

mhdishere

A few years ago in MR magazine there was a guy who build really nice, loose stone (no mortar) foundations on some of his buildings. He made a mold that would cast plaster strips of the appropriate size, once they were set he just broke them off to the sizes he wanted and stacked them.

Might not meet your requirement of "not heavy" though, if weight is an issue I've seen people use foam for stone-work, they carve the mortar lines in it, then spray it with nail-polish remover, watch it for the texture they want, then spray water on it to stop the dissolving. Takes practice, but makes really believable stonework.

ezdays

Out AZ way
I have used a product called "Flex-stone" that sprays a nice sand finish on anything. I've been experimenting with different texures for my rockwork and this works great over plaster or foam. Home Depot carries it in their paint dept.

Don