Stolen Bridge!

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- International' started by TinGoat, Feb 19, 2008.

1. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Surfing through the Yahoo! News photos I saw this...

Attached Files:

2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

3. beamish

beamish HO & Steam Engineer

Ive seen that same situation on my layout before. The track had this real nice dip in it that need some support.
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Obviously flex track, although it could use a bit more ballast. :rolleyes:;):-D

6. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I took it! And they'll never find it nor catch me! It is all part of my evil diabolical plan to take over the WORLD!!! MUUAHAHHAHAAAA!!!

...hey who is that knocking on the door???
  7. scubadude

scubadude Member

Bridges? We don't need no stinkin' bridges!! :rizz1:
  8. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Good to see that you are willing to take the wrap for this...

First, I stoled Doctor Frank's De-Bigulator...

Then, I stoled the bridge...

Now, it's on my layout. sign1
  9. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I saw this in today's local paper and immediately thought of this thread.

Tetters, for your next caper, maybe you should use a "stealth" tugboat. ;)

Attached Files:

10. beamish

That looks interesting, Can you give us anymore details or a link to a online version of the story?
  11. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Sure! It's the Waibaidu Bridge (aka Garden Bridge), a local landmark in Shanghai, and the first steel bridge constructed in China. After 100 years of service, it is being taken down and transported to a local shipyard for renovations, after which it will be re-installed. The photo shows the first half of the bridge on its way.

Because Shanghai was a major boom-town in the 1920s and 30s, when it was largely under control of foreign powers (UK, US, France & Japan), the city is loaded with western architecture from that period, especially Beaux Arts style, and the world's largest existing concentration of Art Deco buildings.

Local Shanghainese are really proud of this heritage (maybe seems counter-intuitive, but it's true), and the city's government is working hard to preserve such buildings and structures all over the city. Renovating the Waibaidu Bridge is part of that effort.

Here's a link to an article in the Shanghai Daily, with a photo of the other half being moved.
  12. viperman

viperman Active Member

I already sold it off to the scrap yard for money
  13. beamish

That is very unique. Thanks for posting the story.