Stitching pics together

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by tf34mech, Aug 10, 2008.

1. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

I have a large picture that is quite wide and I will have to scan it in using multiple pages. What is the easiest way to make one large photo from multiple scans?
  2. David H

David H Member

Hi Sean,

That's tricky one.

I assume you have Photoshop or Corel or the like.

1. Scan to separate files with a generous overlap between images.
    2. open a new blank document which is long enough and high enough to accommodate the complete scanned image. This may have to be a custom paper size.
    3. Place individual components.
    4. Save as a .jpeg,

You have one big image and can scale and edit to your hearts desire.

Or... you could try one of the free stitching applications like that included in HP Image Zone. In this case you will need to leave a generous overlap in the images, say 20% and you rely on the software to match and join the images and apply smoothing to the overlaps... and will only work for a "single -row" of images

High end applications like Stitcher can do a grid of images, but I have not tried it save spherical panoramas with photographs of "real-things", good luck.

3. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

In photoshop under file - automate is the photomerge option. This will attempt to merge all open files.

If you use layers. Create a new blank file, nice and big. Use select and copy and then paste into new file. Repeat for all scans. In the new file arrange the layers and then merge the layers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers JTF
  4. mauther

mauther Active Member

5. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

Thanks for all the help. I have photoshop 7.0 and I didnt see a auto merge options. I did find a option to merge though. I will have to try some of the suggestions. I am not sure the rasterbator thing will work since I am starting with a large picture and breaking it into several small ones to be joined back together again. What I am trying to scan is a page that has several fold out sections.
  6. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

I using Photoshop CS. Don't know the difference with 7.0.

If you need more info on using the layers let me know.

Cheers JTF
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

PS7's layers are setup slightly different than CS's in terms of selection and use. Same thing though. has layers too and is quite good at stitching.
  8. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

Thanks I will have to check out if Photoshop doesnt work.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

A method I use ... is to make all layers 50% transparency.

Make one layer static and unselectable.
    Move all layers to the static one by selecting a standout pixel with the layer selected.
    Click on that standout pixel and slide the mouse cursor over top the same pixel on the static layer.
    When the layer is in position. Make it static.
    Repeat with the others.
  10. Nanba sempai

Nanba sempai New Member

Use this banner maker. It is very productive and simple in use. You shoul like it.:thumb: