Still researching, looking for information

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I have several things I am still trying to pin down....

1. The dimensions of the stations at Sligo Junction (now Inglewood), Forks of The Credit and Melville Junction. I have pictures of these stations but am finding it hard to come up with dimensions.

2. The CVR Orangeville Yard Facility, I cannot find the yard map, so I am using the TG&B yard as it has a map.

3. A good picture of the river at Church's Falls. I guess I will have to plan a trip to the area in the spring when things thaw out. Three hours down and three hours back, just to get one picture seems alot though.

Any information would be appreciated.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Will:
I suspect you may have about all the info. that anyone has, unless there's something in the CPR archives.
You will now have to apply modeller's rule 37b(iv) which states that "Nobody will provide any information until your completed layout has been written up in a national magazine."
I'll carry my camera with me incase we end up near Church's Falls.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Thanks to you both Robin and David.

Actually I was hoping someone already had a picture of Church's Falls.

I will be heading down Georgetown way in the next month or so and I can swing by Church's Falls for a quick pic.

I was more interested in the foot print of the stations.

The stations at Cheltenham, Cataract and Alton are all the same kind and they are 24x48.

Sligo, Forks and Mellvile are diffferent.

Sligo was built by the H&NW and leased by the CVR.
Forks was a Flag station only.
Melville was built by the TG&B and leased by the CVR.

I have pictures of each on my website, but as I say, I am terrible at judging size in them.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Will,

I have got some stuff coming from my parents' "archive" that may help. I know my Dad looked up some stuff in a book called "Rusty Rails" by John Hardy (photos of old Ontario branchlines).

If you have any of the newer digital photo software, you may be able to get more out of those old photos. A friend who is an expert with image manipulation has been able to straighten pictures and so on. If you are familiar with this type of thing, you may be able to simulate a "straight-on" shot of one of the station walls, and start estimating dimensions.

I'll get those photos to you as soon as they come in...

Andrew

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Thanks Andrew, Much appreciated.

I have the Corel Draw Suite which has Corel Photo Paint in it, they tell me I can do wonderful stuff with it, but so far all I have been doing is colour adjustment and restoration. I have not tried the mask and manipulate options. no time yet :cry:

I guess that is my next step. Learn more every day.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
'Figgering and 'Sketching

Will, you probably already know this but I thought I would pass it along as it might be of some help to others that might be trying to get dimensions on buildings.

You can come very close to determining the dimensions of a building if you can find one known dimension in a photograph.

For example, a normal door is 6' 8" high by whatever width in newer construction. In older construction the doors would have been 7' high. By transfering your measurement with a scale ruler from the photo to the other parts of the building you can determine dimensions .

Of course straight on shots of the front back and sides work the best and it does take a lot of 'figgering and 'sketching but unless you are building an exact scale model the dimensions are close enough to give you a starting place in planing you model building and you can refine them by making drawings using accepted construction methods...for example wall bracing in new construction is 16" on center but in older construction it may be as much as 24" on center. If you get the outside dimensions and heights fairly close you can pretty well figure the placement for door and windows by counting boards or bricks in the photo and come up with a very acceptable model.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Originally posted by Matthyro
Its the one by James Filby Will

Thanks Robin, but that is the one book I do have. It is the best resource on the CVR, a very interesting read as well. But it does not have everything a modeler would need.

I do appreciate the thought though. If there is ever anything I can help you with, just let me know.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Val, I appreciate the offer, but it might not be so easy. The pictures I have are up on my website. Go to:

http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR_Prototype.htm

On this page is a picture of the Forks of The Credit Station and Sligo is labeled Inglewood (in 1880 it was Sligo Junction, from 1910 on it was Inglewood).

Page 2 has another shot of the Forks Station, but the Inglewood Station there is the newer one (don't need that one .:D ).

Page 4 has the lone picture of Melville Junction.

Have a look at the pictures and you will see what I mean.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hey Will, I remembered you were on the look for early RR info., and when I looked up the "The Ten Commandments of Model Railroad Yard Design" page to post for Val, I thot I'd look for more operations info. Then, I noticed this guy has some stuff on early roads.

The Link "You're modeling WHAT?" - Why I chose to model a railroad over 100 years old clued me in to look furhter. Scroll down to near the bottom of his links page and you should find sections on Early Model Railroading Websites, Online resources for Early Modeling, and maybe more goodies. Perhaps you will find what you're looking for. If the US Library of Congress Panoramic Maps pages don't have what you want, you can at least burn up a couple of weeks looking over all the cool photo's :D

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Not a problem Val.

I somehow thought that Photoshop could not do miracles. I use Corel Draw which has Corel Photo Paint and although it is almost as powerful as Photoshop, I could not do anything.

I have everything in place now with plans, except the station at Sligo and the one at Melville. The good news is that several people have said these were "similar" or in fact "the same" stations. Apparently both the HNW and TG&B used the same archetect when they wanted their station plans.

the hard part is the fact that both stations have been gone for about 90-100 years. Melville was taken down around 1900 and Sligo burnt down around 1910. Also there are no "eye witnesses" to talk to. :D

Well, with only 2 stations, or one station made twice... I can speculate and no one will say "Hey it was not like that!" Or course if they do, I will ask for their pictures so I can fix it. :thumb:

I also now have enough track to do the layout, the only track I need are the 2 turntables. Next step is the wood for the table, but reality sticks it's big face in and I have had a slow month with my company as everyone is waiting for their income tax to come back. Next month looks great, but I will be too busy to get any model RRing done. :cry:

But thanks for trying, and if you get up this way in the summer, drop in on my wife and I and see how far we have gotten.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by Will_annand
if you get up this way in the summer, drop in on my wife and I and see how far we have gotten.

You know, I might just do that! Always good to get to Muskoka during the summer and it would be fun to meet another Gauger. BTW, Will, are you planning on dropping down to the Big Smoke for our Gauge BBQ this August?

Val