Still In The Car Shop

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Trainsets.....

Originally posted by jon-monon
1. They just need train sets.

2. You haven't heard all my questions yet :D :D :D

Hey Jon,

You are absolutely correct. I've been debating with myself as to whether I should try to start a model rr club at the local seniors res. or with the kids at sunday school.

I don't seem to have very much energy, and doing both might be overextending myself.

Although, it might be very good to bring the seniors and the kids together.....

Now if I could just find a few suckers (Uh.... Volunteers) to help me out....

As far as those questions go... Fire away! :cool:

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Of ADD Kids And Ritlin...

Here's my angle...I have 2 children with SEVERE (and I MEAN severe!!) attention deficit disorder, and Ritlin (not "Ridlin") is NOT for this. It is for the hyperactivity that usually goes hand-in-hand with the ADD. If the child has ADD, but not ADHD, all the Ritlin does is speed them up! We tried our son on Ritlin for one dose...and he did not sleep for 48 hours!:eek:

Ritlin seems to have become almost some sort of "default"med for any child who is a bit too busy. No wonder they're all wired up at school....they're sitting staring google-eyed at the television instead of being outside burning off all the excess energy that all kids have. Our children have their best days when we've been to the pool the night before, and tuckered them out.:D

Ron, you're SO right. Sure, some kids need meds....but nowhere NEAR the number who actually get them.

P.S. Guess where my children got their ADD from? (Sorry, kids!)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Trains for seniors

Tingoat:
I know of one model railway in a seniors/nursing home -- in Kitchener, Ont. One of my friends worked on it for a time while he was out of work. As usual, whenever they were doing maintenance, the residents would come around to run the trains. Some of them weren't up to handling the controls either.
When you get the layout going, make sure to get your residency application in as well. :)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Now that's a thought: kid-proof/elder-proof the layout! You could go for a block layout, not for running multiple trains, but to reduce the voltage in slow areas. Ron, I think it's a great idea either way, for kids or elders. If you get the kids into the hobby, you are making a better future. If you get the elders a layout, you pay back the folks who gave us our "now". You can always bring one by to visit the others layout so you don't have to do both and wear yourself too thin. Kids and elders are a perfect match... most of the time :D :D :D

jon

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Re: Trains for seniors

Originally posted by 60103
Tingoat:
When you get the layout going, make sure to get your residency application in as well. :)

I'm hoping that I won't need to fill out a residency app. for a few years yet...

Sorry Steve, I knew I was spellin' it wrong, but I was too lazy to look it up.

In many cases, ADD can be improved with diet. Stay away from processed foods and MSG. It can also be a sign of superior intelegence. Kids with high I.Q's. can get bored if they are not mentally challenged. If the class is moving too slowly, they will have a tendancy to let their minds wander and daydream.