Still got my fingers crossed....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by doc_harvey, Oct 17, 2005.

1. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

...that some die-hard modeler out there will do some on-line collaboration with me on designing a Battlestar from the TV series "Battlestar Galactica". I've got quite a few refernce pictures, but don't have the capitol to invest in Rhino/Papakura(?) or any other CAD there ANYONE out there who wants to design a Battlestar?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Doc,

with all the current modelling going on, maybe someone will step up and help ya out. I will keep mine crossed for ya too.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  3. Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of building a Galactica model from scratch (the 'real McCoy' from the original tv-series). When finished it will measure approx. 50 cm in length. I don't know when it will be finished, for it's my first big scratch build project - could take a couple of weeks from now. I'll let you guys know in time.

Happy glueing :smile:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Miss Sheila,

I knew that someone would build one. Maybe if you need some refference material, you and Doc could get together. I know that the gallactica was one of the first posts Doc ever made in here.
    I can foresee Doc doing some major "sucking up" to Sheila from now own lol. (Take advantage of it Sheila hahahaha).

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW

5. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Well...somehow I've managed to get a 3D image of a Battlestar into my trial version of I'm I supposed to get it into Pepakura now?
  6. Hi Doc,

Metasequoia, Pepakura... I honestly don't know, I work with my own sketches which I have transferred to Adobe Illustrator directly, without any 3D drawing or modelling programs. From Illustrator, I print my designs and cut 'n build 'em. This proces means a reasonable amount of math, but nothing all too complicated - mainly Pythagorean stuff and such.
    The only thing I can say about this approach is, that once comfortable with this way of working, you quickly get a great deal of experience in 'thinking 3D to 2D' and vice versa. Highly recommended! :smile:

Happy glueing!

ps: I'd be happy to explain more in detail my way of scratch building. Just ask. ;-)

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Doc,

Well, knowing how complex a 3d image of the battlestar must be, You will probably have to break it down into smaller parts. But, that aside, to get it from meta to pepa, you will need to save the image as something like a .3ds file or an .obj file, then, open it in pepa. you do this by clicking "file" up top in meta, then "save as" then when the box opens up, look at the bottom of the box where it says file type and click the small arrow on the right side and save as a .3ds image. then you can open it in pepa, but, I bet the image will be too complex to unfold w/o breaking it down into sections.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  8. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

brain trial version of metaseq won't let me export or save it as either a .obj or .3ds....guess if you want to play, you have to pay....and thanks very much for the friendly advice, Sheila, but I am neither a mathematician, not very skilled at drawing/cutting "freehand". But keep the suggestions coming! Maybe some design idea that I can try my hand out will come to light. BTW..the metaseq picture is FABULOUS.....wish I unfold and print directly from that!

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again fred,

Ok, one more time, in the upper left corner of the meta program, you will see the word "file". Click it, then in the drop down box you will see "save as", click it, then when the box opens up for you to title the image you are going to save, look at the bottom of the box where it says "save as type", then click the small arrow in the right side of that box anc set it to .3ds then title the file andclick ok, then you can open the file in pepa.

hope this helps,

ps, I also have the free version
  10. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Yup! Tried that repeatedly...all i get is a message saying "Only registered version can export".

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Ok Doc,

Lets try this then, delete the version of meta that you have, then go to this link: scroll down and you will want to download the the last version listed there, the "MetasequoiaLE R2.3b" freeware version. This is the version I have. it will allow you to save in the manner I instructed you on earlier.
    I hope this helps,

Greg aka GW
  12. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

many thanks da man! Thanks, you are always a great help...I'll try it soon!

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Pete,

The pleasure is all mine, lemme know how it turns out for you. I started to suggest another 3d design program, one with complete instructions that I use, which is also free called "anim8or". However, knowing how long you have been wanting the battlestar, I didnt see any sense in "changing horses in mid stream".
    But, "anim8or" is a nice program, is relatively small file size wise, and allows you to save in many formats. Plus it comes with a 100 page .pdf instruction file that will answer most any questions you may have about how to do things within the program.
    You may want to go ahead and get it anyway and just "play" with it when you have a chance. you can even make jpegs and bitmaps of your 3d models right in the program. Anyway, if you want to download it and try it out, you can find it at this link: .
    Under the words "Download Anim8or Executable" you will see the link to begin the download. Click it. Then When thats done, you will need the user manual from the same page. You can find the link to it a little further down under the words Download Anim8or User Manual . Now I am assuming you dont have windows 95 but if you do, look to the bottom of the page for the version for that O.S.
    Again, I hope this helps, Lemme know how the meta D/L went as well as the unfolding. should you need to break it into smaller parts, anim8or can do that too.

Have a good evening,

Greg aka GW

14. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

I think the trial only supports .mqo (File, Save As) which Pepakura supports.

15. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Hi Pete

Metasequioa's freeware version only supports Meta's proprietary format of mqo files, which the shareware version of Pepakura also supports.

Once the object is built in Meta, save it in mqo format, then open it in Pepakura and proceed with the unfolding.

Any problems you might have with Meta can be answered by several people in the forums.

Have fun 8v)