sticky tires?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Dec 26, 2007.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

Back in the '60's when I use to race slot cars whe had this stuff we put on the slicks that gave the tires a little more traction. Is there anything out there to put on the traction tires of engines? I keep the track really clean and I clean the tires on the engine. But after a while they seem to slip a little more when pulling a heavy train up a grade.
  2. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I've never heard of anything of that type. I believe your slot cars got their power through a source other than their wheels. The locomotives as you know get it through the rails. Any adhesion increasing material would probably act as an insulator. More weight in the loco or additional units will be a better solution.
  3. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Tires can over time become hard. Repalce them or use weight. I find that older engines with plastic shells need lots of weight. I put lead in the fuel tanks and and on the frame. Newer engines weigh more and seem to do better. Hint: on mounting weights and etc, go to automotive parts store. Ask for 3M windshield mounting ribon. Black sticks ribon to install windshields. 15feet is about $15. Will last for years. An pinch will hold the world. You will find lots of uses for it. Very sticky and strong. Yet removable.
  4. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Joe - As I recall we used light oil, so that they would spin more on corners and then take off of straights. Wouldn't recommend that here. (BTW - 2 month Track Champion at Phan Rang AB, Viet Nam sign1)
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

slot cars are getting big again, in the bigger city's anyway, not here where im at tho....
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Gecko rubber.