Steyr RSO/01

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Daimyo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Finished suspension and idler sprocket:
    Only some work on the rear driving sprocket left to be done and then the real work begins.
  2. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Daimyo, do you do design work professionally? The quality and level of detail here are really first rate. Can't wait to see how it looks in card!
  3. lriera

lriera Member

Me too think the same as Art Decko. Great job Daimyo, I hope to see it on paper soon.
  4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I had my doubts that a paper model of the RSO/01 would ever be done. The cab is an incredibly complex shape to make in paper but you appear to have been able to do it.

Have you given thought to a RSO/02 self propelled PaK 40. You could design it to use the GPM PaK 40.

Jim Nunn
  5. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Thank you for the comments. I'm not doing 3D profesionally, though I'm an IT student, but I started designing long before that. For professional work, I'm lacking skills in texturing and rendering, this is just basic polygon work.
    Jim, RSO/02 is definitely a possibility, suspension and bodywork is complete, I would only have to make the superstructure for the gun. We'll see. :)

Anyway, bodywork already completed in paper. So far so good - all the parts join together almost perfectly. In some places there was 1 mm missing in lenght, but I already corrected that in my plans.
  6. lriera

lriera Member

Nice job, so far. You are doing a great work on modelling and build.
  7. Ziga

Ziga Member

RSO/02 with PaK 40 would be great. I admire your skills, both in designing and building it.
  8. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Thank you. Today I've finished engine and gearbox:

9. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Final drive and rear brake housings:

10. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Next we have the suspension and 1 of 8 roadwheels..

11. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Suspension is finished, next up - the sprockets.

The real deal for comparison:

12. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

!!! (I think I'm running out of superlatives to describe your work. :))

Question: on your card assemblies, do the black lines indicate the locations of reverse scores? I'm trying to understand how you are creating those complex compound curves so smoothly (e.g. the shape of the shell of the cab).

Hope your studies are not suffering from the time you are putting in on the Steyr! ;)
  13. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Don't pay attention to the renders, they are done with smoothing applied to polygons. The black lines are leftovers from 3ds max, they represent the polygons, so you can actually see the poly count in my model. :) I just haven't removed them yet, and they also help a bit with positions of different parts, for example the rotation angle of the wheel hub in reference to the apertures in the roadwheel.
    The rear driving sprocket:

For comparison:
  14. Daimyo, I finally took a look at your thread. Since I have absolutely no computer graphic skills, (but really, really wish I did) I tend to pass over design threads. I'm so glad I stopped by. I even had my wife and daughter take a look over my shoulder. Your work on this challenging vehicle is absolutely amazing. Words fall short. I, that's not quite it.....I'm incredibly envious of your talent. I will be a frequent visitor from now on. I salute you sir.
  15. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Thank you very much for your kind compliments, but that's too much accolades for this modest model. It's really not so complex and far from perfect. :) Next update will follow in a week or so, as I'm of for a holiday, and will be the front sprocket.
  16. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

dont sell yourself short! this is an amazing design and build! absolutely stunning!!
  17. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Front sprocket:
  18. logicman

logicman Greybeard

you have chosen a subject with complex body curves, a challenge in itself, and then gone on to add incredible amounts of detail.

Astounding! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I, too, salute you.
  19. Daimyo

Daimyo Member

Well the body curves are yet to come, might not look so great when the model will be coloured. :D Thank your for the kind comment.

Here's the front axle and front sprocket housing.

20. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

If this one is to be painted... can't wait to see how it looks! Top notch work!!