Steve's Drawing Board

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by SteveM, May 8, 2007.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah FASA made a lot of short cuts.
  2. SteveM

SteveM Member

4 bar linkage

This drawing may not look like much without the rest of the ship around it, but getting this mechanism to fit was pretty tricky with several false starts. But, it looks like it just might work and fit into the ship properly.
  3. sakrison

sakrison Member

Yes! Absolutely! Most certainly! Yes!

For those of you who remember the movie(s). I was as amazed (and confused) by "2001: a Space Odyssey" as everyone else in the theater. A few years later, I sat wide-eyed through the sequel, "2010." As the end credits rolled, some wag in the back row called out, "Well, that explains everything."

Great movies!

4. airbob

airbob Member

All These Worlds Are Yours – Except Europa. Attempt No Landings There
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

That's what I think is so cool about the movies and the books. Aurthur C Clarke is (was?) a Genious!!
  6. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

The unfortunate thing was that 2010 could have been so much better. They left out the best parts of the book (the whole sub-plot about the Chinese getting there first and landing on Europa), expanded the worst aspects (the whole hostilities thing between the US and USSR), and technically made lots of mistakes (like when they are sitting in their spinning section of the Leonev and talking about discovery. They have artificial gravity due to the spinning, yet he lets go of the pen, flicks it, and it floats off). I remember a friend even telling me how another friend of his pointed at the wall during one of the scenes and said, "Hey, that's my pioneer stereo.

7. dhanners

dhanners Member

Not to be pedantic, but the scene in which Floyd flicks the pen and it floats off took place on the bridge of the Leonov, which was in the nose of the ship, not the spinning artificial-gravity section of the ship. The bridge was one of the zero-G sections of the ship.

But back to the Aries 1B. As far as wanting a model of this, uh, how best to put it? YES! YES! YES! I'm at a point in my life where I don't get excited about anything, but I'd get excited about a good card model of the Aries IB. That's always been my favorite spacecraft from 2001. I was always pissed that Aurora never saw fit to do a kit of it and the garage kits of it that are out there all seem too pricey to me.

Then again, I'm cheap. That's why I got into card modeling.

But yep, I'd love a cardmodel of the Aries 1B, so if there's anything I can do, just holler.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

John Lithgow's face during the spacewalk................priceless.
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I'm almost afraid to ask, but does this picture mean retractable landing gear????
  10. SteveM

SteveM Member

I'm trying to implement the mechanism to allow the legs to retract like they do in the movie
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Wow. I, personally, would be satisfied, nay! Happy, with a staic display.

But again, wow! That will be suh-WEET!!!
  12. shrike

shrike Guest

Semi OT, but what the heck

Just sharing a selection from the closet.

View attachment 11053

I'll go away now.
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Can't Wait to see it Steve! Are You planning on revisiting the Command section of Your GREAT discovery model?

Love Your work,

14. jparenti

jparenti Member

The Ares moon ship and the pod would be great additions to my collection. Before I found your Discovery, I wondered why no one had taken on the 2001 ships, considering they blow away anything found in Star Wars/Trek. ;)
    And Carl, speaking of command section, there was a WONDERFUL website dedicated to 2001 years ago, which had cutaway views of the command module of XD-1. The creator took it down for some reason. I always wanted to try an interior, but no one has taken up the challenge. Making a sphere out of cardstock is enough of a challenge, not to mention all the stuff inside of it.
  15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

2001 EVA Pod

Ron C. is doing the EVA pod now. He is taking his time, (But it will be worth the wait).

16. SteveM

SteveM Member

As for the interior of the Discovery, do you mean this page?
  17. SteveM

SteveM Member

progress to date
  18. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Sweet! Sweet!

Looking good, (What are You using to 3d Model with, (If I may ask?)?)!

19. SteveM

SteveM Member

Progress not so dramatic now that most of the major geometry completed. Focusing now on details and etching panel lines. But about 95% complete on the outside, then onto the internal support structures, not to mention the unfolding process. I'm hoping to get this completed before the next Herndon, VA IPMC (November). :D
  20. kooklik

kooklik Member

Very cool machanism !!