Steppin' Razor

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Steppin' Razor, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steppin' Razor

Steppin' Razor New Member

When I was a kid, we were really poor. My parents had no money for toys, so I had to make my own.

I started w/ construction paper I stole from school, and moved on to cardboard from packing cartons and pine wood from discarded shipping palettes.

Later, when my aunts and uncles brought me Christmas presents, they would also include colored construction paper and glue, which I enjoyed more than toys.

When I was 8 years old, my aunt Carol brought me a cowboy action figure. You know, one of those big 12” ones? It had a gun and holster, spurs, two kinds of hat, some branding irons…all the bells and whistles. But for me, it wasn’t enough.

I gathered up some cardboard and construction paper and went to work.

About a week later, my mom went into the basement to wash diapers. We had one of those big old sinks down there. As she rounded the corner to go into the washroom, she stopped, dropped the laundry and screamed. :eek:

During that week or so, I had constructed an entire Old Western town for my action figure. I had a saloon (upstairs and downstairs), a stables (with a hay loft and a corral), a pony express station, a jail (with two cells) and a general store. I had even made a convincing buckboard wagon pulled by a (not so convincing) horse. All in about 1/6 scale. It completely filled the room, and the saloon was about 3' high...

It totally freaked her out. She wanted me to dismantle it immediately. I begged and pleaded, and only my father’s laughing intervention saved “Johns Town” from destruction.

She still tells that story at holiday gatherings. Calls it "her brush with the Twilight Zone".:yep:

Later, when I was able to afford cheap plastic models, I made the switch because they required less work, but I have always missed being able to build whatever I could think of, as opposed to what a manufacturer offered.

I cannot express how glad I was to find a place where people still make paper models. Thanks for being here for me, even if I only just found y’all. :wave:

- John Creed
  2. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Welcome John!

Hello John,
    Welcome to cardmodeling!

I too started out designing things out of construction paper. I was in 5th grade then and even though they were simple and boxy, I learned to create cylinders and cones to match my crude sketches. Boy I wish a few (even just one) of them survived today. I gave them all away, but the spaceships had some pretty detailed interiors with switches, buttons, and displays made from very small construction paper squares.

I did not know that card modeling was a hobby until about 3 years after I retired from the military and the internet was still very young. A friend of mine who used to build plastic models (but now is VERY much into card model gundams) and I would talk about building models and when he found out that I used to design and build these construction paper ones told me there was a huge international interest in designing and building paper models on the internet.

I discovered this wonderful group awhile ago (when it was at The members are helpful, civil, encouraging, and support each other (all except that one- always seems to be like that). I hope you find your experience here as good as I do.

Welcome to the group- there are some absolutely OUTSTANDING designers out there who freely give their models away. The ones you can buy are also good; members here can help you find some you are interested in.

There is also a wealth of experience here if you want to design some of your own. I really like designing something new.

Best Regards,
  3. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

That sounds like you had a fun childhood. I used to build tanks and APCs out of construction paper like you did your town, but I used a comination of cardboard and construction paper to make buildings. I didnt have a scale calculation to figure out the scales of what I built, but I would gues they were all around 1:72 or 1:48 or close to that because they were only maybe 6inches in length.
  4. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Gasp! I used to do that ;) I was amazed at Gundams, but they stopped selling them here where I am. So back in 6th grade I tried my hand at modeling a Gundam with cardboard, came out horrid. Then, a few years later, I came across here, maybe half a year ago, and saw some amazing models....but what really knocked me out was the fact that they were paper! Well, actually, card, but ah well :)
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Yes, welcome John!:thumb:

That sounds like a very interesting story. I too grew up rather poor, but that didn't stop me from being inventive in entertaining myself. Your "Old West Town" sounds like it was something that kept you busy and elicited your creativeness at a young age. I guess you were destined to be a modeler.

Again, "Welcome Aboard!":mrgreen:
  6. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Hey Steppin! Are you still here! Make sure to keep yourself active, visit the extended meduims, juding by the fact of your knowledge in the styrene arts :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.