Step-1 JU-52

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by gera, Mar 6, 2005.

1. gera

gera Member

Hi Guys and Girls:

Here is the first step of Fiddlersgreen JU-52....3 1/2 " long, this is going to be a fairly large plane 8)
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey man,

That's exactly as far as I have gotten............Looks great and seems to go together pretty good.

Are you going to add any scratch-built formers to the inside to give it a little bit more strength?

I forsee many differnet builds of this plane in my future!

3. gera

gera Member

Hi Bow:
    How about that...we are on the same track!!!! :lol: ........I find it great, very good printing, it fits like a glove. Yes I will make some formers in order to strengthen the fuselage. On this first model I will make it like it is BUT...I defenitly plan on a super detailed one. I have to get more pictures of the inside, as a Spanish Civil war Bomber.................... Hope you enjoy it as much as I did making the first part, really neat :p
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah, I pretty happy about his model too! I probable will add some formers too! It seems a bit easy to squeeze in the sides.

I hope you will do us a building thread on the detailed one;I for one, would really like to watch the progress!

I probable will not get too detailed with mine, as of now, I just get a kick out of building them and giving them to my workingmate's kids. They really don't believe that it is made with paper.

I'm trying to get some converts so the hobby will really catch on, I really like it, and I think they will too.

Anyway good luck with your build and keep us updated on your progress. If you find anything that ain't right with it, pass it on and I will do the same. But if it like all the other FG models I've build there will not be anything major wrong!

5. gera

gera Member

Well here is the fuselage..............13" long 8)
    Added a former for consistency and toilet paper :shock:
  6. barry

barry Active Member

JU 52

Hi gera

certainly looks good and I must admit it has a good weathering job on it look forward to mor epics.

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Geraldo!

It truly is looking good! I like it!

I had some trouble with the wings though.........I found it was better to cut off the endcaps and glue them to cardboard. It was then easier to glue the wing covering to them if they were a liitle bit more sturdier.

I've got the wings attached and the tail stabilizer........but I haven't done the flaps yet. I may leave them till last since thay are attached with very small holders. I'm afraid I'll tear them off finishing it up.

So far it has gone together very well. I hope you are enjoying the build as much as I am.

Anyway hope this helps.

8. gera

gera Member

Hi Guys...
    Bow...I am presently on the wings, I have added a strip of cardboard in the middle of them for strength, pretty long things!!!!!(will follow your tip!!!) but I am really enjoying the build for everything "Fits" perfectly :D ...its a really great kit.

Barry.... Yeah I will take pics as I go along and send them in, I think everyone will love to build this bird, the kit is so exact..

The color are great, I printed it in "cream" colored paper and really got a nice tint in the camo.....

9. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

g8 work man for sure
    i going to order it to its 1 of my fivorit planes
    and your work looks very good
    kip doing good jub :)
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Geraldo how the build going?

Mine is going pretty good, I did find another tip though.

Next time I build it I will build a spar for the wing...yes it is huge and needs some extra support! At least I'll put some tissue in it.

Everything seems to go together very well.

Engines, wheels and wing flaps/slats and I'll be almost finished.

Can't wait to see your next pictures. Good luck with the build.

11. gera

gera Member

Hi Bow:
    Last night I finished the tail complex...nice.
    You are totally right, I placed a wing spar for the wings are to long!!!!!! and they came out ok...... This is really the best kit Chip has put out, pieces just fit like a glove. It is indeed, one of the best "behaved" kit I have ever built. I printed it in CREAM color paper and the texture looks really good. I will not do the wheels "flat" as per the drawings, I will make them myself and round them up. Those tiny clips on the elevator look really nice and I made a moving rudder.
    Might take some photos over the weekend and show :shock:

good building to you :)
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah, I wish I had done that with the wing.

I too am planning on glueing up stock and making rounded wheels. I agree the flat ones just don't do this model justice.

I also did not like the white band on the engines and just glue us some stock to match the thickness. It seemed easier to put the cowling on the center motor with this being more sturdier.

I also liked the tail unit too, but next time I'll try and make a stand to hold the flaps till the glue dries! Attaching to only three "itty bitty" points was kind of a challenge!

Have a good weekend and again looking forward to the pics.

13. gera

gera Member

Hi John and everyone else:

Just to tell you that this is endeed a very tiny planet :shock:

I spent 4 1/2 years of my young life out there in Bay St Louis, Miss........
    at St Stanislaus School............... :?

How far are you from there in good old Miss???????
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Geraldo,

It is a small world after all............I'm a little north of Jackson. About 3 hrs driving time to the gulf.

I usually load-up with a couple of buddies and go down two - three times a year and fish the gulf.

Hope you enjoyed your time here........ I've been here since '68 when my Dad retired from the Navy. Could not understand moving from Florida to Mississippi, especally at that time, but I'm glad we did. I've enjoyed it ever since. Nice people.......great places to hunt and fish.

15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Geraldo,

Here a picture of my version. I saw the picture of yours on the "what are you building now" thread and yours looks great. My sister is visiting and she took the pictures for me.

Next time I'll do better learning from the mistakes I made on this build.

I liked the plane and the build went very well, just next time I'll make the changes we already noted.

Oh........... and don't put the engine block to the far back on the wing units
    it only needs to go about half way, otherwise the props won't mount correctly.

16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

One more shot...........
  17. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

hi john,

beatuiful buil of aunt ju :D. i did only the download yet.

once each year one of the last (or the last) flyable Ju-52 visit graz. it is a real fascinating impression to se such a huge plane fly so slow 8)

cheers from austria
  18. gera

gera Member

Hi Bow:
    I just saw your photos of the Ju-52........congratulations it looks great!!!!!.I should finish mine during the week...thanks for the tips..... :D :D :D
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks guys for good words. :D

I enjoyed the build very much, as with all FG models they look good no matter had bad you mess them up. :wink:

Geraldo I can't wait to see yours.
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hello Raimund,

I wish I could see such a wonderful sight! I bet it is amazing to see one of these in flight. I knew they were big but until I built this kit I did not realize exactly how big! You are a lucky guy to get to see that!

Geraldo........ you need to put some pics out of that other build. It was looking very good also!