Steel Mill Complex for New Layout

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
As some of you might of read about in my "New Layout Pictures" thread, I have a huge open space for a big steel mill operation. I want to have all 4 major Walthers Cornerstone Steel Mill Kits in one complex (Blast Furnace, Coke Oven & Quencher, Empire Gas Works Coke Retort, and the Rolling Mill)

Heres the links to the 4 structures:
Blast Furnace: http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3054
Coke Oven & Quencher: http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3053
Empire Gas Works Coke Retort: http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2910
Rolling Mill: http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3052

The space I have available is about 2' 5" x roughtly 4'. Theres a pic of the space below. The black lines show the limits. It seems kinda small but there is a lot of space there and I already plan to run a track down behind the bunkers so it will have yard acsses from the mainline.

I want to have the following Walthers Rail Cars in the complex:
  1. Slag Cars
  2. Hot Metal Bottle Cars
  3. Coke Cars
  4. 5-Bay Coal Hoppers - BNSF and NS
  5. Quad Hoppers - CNW and CSX
  6. Mill Gondolas - CSX, SP, CNW/UP, and BNSF
  7. Cushion Coil Cars - CSX and UP
  8. GSC Commonwealth Flatcars - UP
  9. 4,000 Cubic Foot Coal Cars - CNW
Can someone help on the yard plan for the steel mill??
I no that this is a tight space so I am open for any suggestions on the arrangment of buildings and track. (If I have to, I can let the Empire Gas Works Coke Retort go for now to give some more room for track and trains in the yard).

Any input welcome!!

Thanks

Attachments

• Steel Mill Complex copy.jpg
    Steel Mill Complex copy.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 391
THis might help a little...

Go to Google Maps, search for Lackawanna, NY, and switch to the Hybrid Satellite/Map image. On the shores of Lake Erie at Lackawanna is a steel plant, and it's serviced by Conrail (it's now CSX I think). You can see how the railroad tracks are arranged on the Satellite map. :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
That steel yard was pretty cool. There were lots of trains when I saw it on the google map but, that one in Lackawanna, NY was not really any help. I did not see any tracks going to buildings. All I saw was a ton of sidings right next to each coming off the mainline. Thanks for the help though.:) :thumb:

What I am looking for is something that would allow a train to come off the mainline and go into the complex. Example: If a coal train came in, it could go to the buildings and pass right next to it and unload or if a train came in with a load of mill gondolas and coil cars it could go to the Rolling Mill in the yard.
I basicly want this to be a huge mess with track. TONS OF SWITCHING from the mainline into the yard and to each of the buildings and sidings..

I don't know if I am making any sence trying to explain this??:curse:

Any help is appreciated.:) :)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Heres some pic I found on the internet of other peoples steel mills to help explain what I am looking for.

These ones have yards with tracks that just kinda go all over and that's want I want.

The 3rd picture has something that I had not thought about but now want to put that in as well. It is the tracks that go on the hill for the hoppers to go over and unload. Mine will just go into the wall and have no track bumpers.

I think that I am going to have no choice but to not put the Empire Gas works Coke Retort in because I just don't think theres ebough room, but we will see I guess.

I going to work on a track plan for a while but if anyone can help me get one, that would be great.

Attachments

• The Gauge Pic of Steel Mill 1.jpg
    The Gauge Pic of Steel Mill 1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 377
  • The Gauge Pic of Steel Mill 2.jpg
    The Gauge Pic of Steel Mill 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 371
  • The Gauge Pic of Steel Mill 3.jpg
    The Gauge Pic of Steel Mill 3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 379
  • The Gauge Pic of Steel Mill 4.jpg
    The Gauge Pic of Steel Mill 4.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 390

MilesWestern

Suggestion, and Question: Do you have the (all Retired) models for the steel mill complex already, if so, then :eek: WOW! good move! :thumb: if you don't, why not scratch build? I think ralph built his outta old shampoo bottles n' stuff, why not save nearly $300.00, and DIY? :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
O thats a good Idea.

But I already asked my parents and grandparents and they both said they would get me the buildings off e-bay for christmas. I love them so much!!! I would have never thought that they would go for it but they did. My grandparents said I could spend $300.00 and my parents said $500.00 totaling $800.00 in stuff. I think that is plenty for a hole steel mill complex. Buildings, trains and trucks and everything else should be covered exept the engines of course.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Im glad to have them as my parents and grandparents.

Ok so here's what I have so far on my version of the track plan. The white lines through the buildings are tracks.

I think that I am going to add the Coke Retort in the empty space.

I still want other peoples track ideas if they are willing to help.

Attachments

• For the-gauge.jpg
    For the-gauge.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 379

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok, here it is with the Coke Retort.

I marked the tracks that go through the buildings with red this time.

What to do guys think?

Attachments

• Steel Mill Complex 2 copy.jpg
    Steel Mill Complex 2 copy.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 376

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Here is the another one of the track coming out of the rolling mill and joining the mainline.

This one is a bad picture so don't stare to long at this one cause I already got a head ache.sign1 sign1 sign1

slagpot

Looks good for a compact mill setting. I noticed theres no storage yard for the Coke ,taconite and limestone. The pit as the real steelies know it as, is hundreds of feet long with a ore bridge crane for charging the high line car.

If you need any help with {what goes where} shoot me an e-mail and I'll be happy to help anyway I can.

I'm working on a Kress scrap box carrier for Dragon River Steel Corp ,second carrier. Afterwards , I'll be working on both an E-crane and another kress carrier {Slag pot carrier }.

P.S Heres a link to Ken larsons web page for more info on large intergrated mills...posted below.

http://trainweb.org/ironbelt/

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

i guess you could say i got lucky i got my steal mill of ebay for 86$ bnib took a while to put together but its done. it is a good size complex:)

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
Im glad to have them as my parents and grandparents.

Ok so here's what I have so far on my version of the track plan. The white lines through the buildings are tracks.

I think that I am going to add the Coke Retort in the empty space.

I still want other peoples track ideas if they are willing to help.

You aren't going to be able to fit that in that corner you have there. You'll need a whole new section of layout, or you'll have to sacrafice another business for it to have space. there literally isn't enough room in there for what you want.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
:wave: Hi and thanks Patrick

Ok, let me go add the bunkers in. I will have to change things around a bit and get rid of a couple offices and tracks.

I would love your help on designing my complex. I will drop you an e-mail later on today.:)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok, here is the one with the storage bunkers.

Attachments

• Steel Mill Complex copy 2.jpg
    Steel Mill Complex copy 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 134

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I am glad to hear that your steel mill came out ok railroader9731:thumb: :thumb: .

:wave: Green_elite_cab, thanks for the advise on the size of the complex. I am going to work with Patrick on this and see just how much I can get in there and not make it look like crap, although, it is kinda hard to make something like this look bad. Steel Mills aren't the best kept places. Just like many industries, theres always stuff everywere.