Steam whistle sound when opening home page

Would you like to hear a steam whistle sound when opening the home page of this site?

• Yes, that would be neat.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, that would alert others in my household as to just how often I access this site!

• Not a steam whistle but another sound associated with trains.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Obviously we would have to get the approval of the "higher ups" to make a change like this but, How many would be interested to hear a steam whistle sound when opening the home page to this site?

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
TrainNut, I'm against it, so I voted No. I don't have any problems with waking up the neighborhood, but I have two other reasons:

1. Loading a whistle sound adds to the loading time. I want to go to the posts without waiting for that. Even on a fast connection there's still time lost.

2. While I LOVE the sound of a steam whistle, hearing the same sound over and over really gets on your nerves. First it's :cool::wave:, then it becomes :confused:, then :( and finally :mad::curse:.

BTW, I have a nice collection of RR sounds which I captured on the net, but I want to hear them when I'm in the mood. So it's no for me. Just my 2¢

Ron

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That would only confuse me since I already have a steam whistle that goes off every time Thunderbird finds new email.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for whether it could be implemented, that decision lies with Peter as well as if vBulletin can support it if he does agree. As to recommendations, I'll leave it up to the poll results, but in my opinion, it would have to be a selectable option since it might also alert a few bosses that you're not working very hard... again... :eek:ops: :eek:ops: It would also tend to scare away some that want to browse in silence.:sleeping:

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Had to say no also.
cute the first time, old after that.

I hate waiting for anything to load too.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
announce1 NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Sorry, was that a bit too emphatic?:D:D:D:D:D

Nothing personal, I just still have a Britney Spears midi file twirlin' in my gourd from the last blog I stumbled upon.:thumb:

C

Catt

I vote absolutely not in any way shape or form.Noise on a website is just a pure pain in the caboose.(by the way I would say the same about a diesel horn)

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
I voted yes, but then I wished I voted no... for all the same reasons that have been stated, but mainly the novelty would wear off all to quick....

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
OH, PLEASE NO!!

I like to check in periodically while I'm at work, & I don't need to alert everyone else in the office...:eek:ops: :rolleyes:

(The office PC doesn't have external speakers, so I'd have to go into the control panel to turn off the sound...not too big of a problem i guess, but it would be easier to just go to another forum...:cry: )

NH 2525

Jan 12, 2006
I often visit this site during breaks at work. I would hate to forget to mute my PC volume before logging on.

Eric

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Where I come from NIMBY means "not in my back yard", a reference to people who protest things that might affect them but have little concern for how it affects others in the same situation. Not sure what you're getting at here Stan. Personally I don't use my computer speakers unless I'm working on sites with sounds I want to hear so the opening steam whistle would be lost on me. I am concerned, however, about the possibility it might effect the speed of the site as it loads up, especially for dial up users.
Ralph