Steam Locomotive Help

Clark A.

Nov 9, 2004
Garden City, Michigan
I have alloted about 100-150 dollars (US) of my Christmas Money to buy a good steam locomotive. Its gonna pull about 5 passenger cars plus a tender. I want it to be large but not huge. I'd like it to smoke, if possible. Thanks!

gcodori

Jun 30, 2004
Bachmann makes many medium-large locomotives in that price range (and cheaper) which are good starter locos, as long as you get the Spectrum brand.

Proto2000 locos are excellent (highly detailed), but pricy (and fragile).

These are the two extremes...give us more details as to what you like to run.

GregC

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Clark - That one doesn't smoke, I fear. None of the Bachmann Spectrum series does that I know of. In your price range, I'd suggest looking for some of the Broadway Limited locos. The Paragon series is nice and several of them are available at the upper end of your price limit (but not the K4 4-6-2 I fear), that's about $300 "street" price.

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Honestly, I haven't seen a factory smoking locomotive since the old "Texas Chugger". At least in HO scale.
I remember seeing add-on smoke units in the Walther's catalog. Can one of these units be added easily to a Bachmann engine?
(I don't plan on doing this as the Texas Chugger I have ends up with an oily sheen all over from the smoke unit. Also, if it runs dry, the unit can start to melt the loco shell.)

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I'd advise against an engine that smokes anyway, basically what they do is vaporize oil and pump it out thru the stack. Then guess what? The oil condenses onto your track and everything else. Makes quite a mess.

As for engines, the Spectrum engines are really great, I have a couple 4-6-0 high-boilers and a Russian Decapod, truly beautiful little engines. Also in your price range would be Mantua, I know the old ones are great engines, I don't have any experience with the new ones made by Model Power. If you go to a train show you can find old Tyco steam engines that were made by Mantua, the price is good and they'll pull the sheet rock off the walls. Just stay away from the one with the motor in the tender. IHC also makes some real nice engines, they have a couple types of Pacific (4-6-2), one standard and one semi-steamlined. They're not as nicely detailed as the Spectrums but they're good, solid engines.

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
The new MTH 4-6-2 K4 is going to have smoke... But it doesn't come out until the spring and isn't in the price range you give...

I'll second mhdishere's point: The Spectrum engines are really well done in a modest price range.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
I have a Spectrum 4-6-0 (high driver) that runs quite well, but I find on my layout it's limit is about 3 passenger cars, but on a perfectly flat layout could probably do 5. Model Power is making some of the old Mantua engines again, they are offering a 4-6-2 which is well under $100 and should be able to pull a pretty long train, assuming like the original Mantua ones they use metal (zamac) boilers.

BTW "coaches" are passenger cars. In North America they mean a particular type of car (sometimes called "chair cars") but in Britain the term is a generic term for passenger cars. :)

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
I have two old Mantua locos (a 4-6-2 and a 4-8-2) which are both metal boilers, but don't pull very well. No problem with wheel slippage due to the weight, but the older open-frame motors they use don't have a lot of torque. If the new Mantua's have the weight of the old ones with better modern can motors, they may pull better...