Steam loco

bellybomber3

Dec 30, 2005
I have read several times that steam locos can be hard to run on tight radius turns is there a type that is better for running on 18" turns? What is the popular brands that I should look at? I have dcc and plan to buy a steam loco that has sound.
Thanks,
Tom

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Any shorter wheelbase loco will be better at tighter turns. That means that x-4-x or x-6-x are generally better than (for example) x-8-x or x-10-x or even x-6-6-x. Older steamers used to be made with "blind" drivers - that is the middle set (or two) of driving wheels had no flanges so the wheels were free to ride out over the rails in the tighest turns.

I have a Proto2000 0-6-0 that I have equipped with a Soundtraxx DSD-LL080LC decoder. This is the "plug n play" decoder that is designed for the Proto2000 0-8-0 switcher, but it will work with the smaller engine too. Sounds great! :D

I also have a Bachman Spectrum 4-6-0 (no sound yet) that works well on 18" radius.

Remember too that long rolling stock, like heavyweight passenger cars, may have some problems and/or appearance issues on 18" radius.

Andrew

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
You could put locomotives as larger as a 4-6-6-4 Challenger ( thats my expierience) on 18" curves, but it probably won't look right if you stare at a picture of the real thing long enough. You can afford to go a little bigger i think then an 0-6-0, but don't go over board. stick to Hudson type (4-6-4) locomotives or smaller. avoid locomotives with lots of solid frame drivers.

petey

May 17, 2004
steam locos

Hello,
Any six-coupled loco should work on 18" r, including six-coupled articulateds.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
The smaller 2-8-0s generally do fine on 18" radius curves. Most 2-8-2s will handle it, but the overhang is beginning to be a bit much. That's where I would draw the line.

yours in steaming

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
The problem is not limited to steam locomotives, I know that I have had similar problems with diesels; particularly those with six wheel trucks. If you are running scale trains with rp25 wheels, then I would stay away from engines larger than a pacific (4-6-2). However, if you are not running scale then look at any AHM or Rivarossi engines. I have successfully run a 4-6-6-4 AHM with large wheel flanges on 18" uneven track and it didn't even challenge the 14 wheel centipede tender. Also some early Bachman 4-8-4s can run on it. There certainly are quite a few Bowser locomotive with blind center drivers that can negotiate 18" radius as well.

-Ed