Steam loco search

jr switch

It occured to me that I keep buying Bachmann steam engines from one source or another because they seem to have the best selection. I have pulled up Athearn, Broadway, Kato, Mantua, Model power, Life like, and some of the others that are often mentioned on this forum and I can't find another manufacturer with even close to Backmanns selection. Is there another out there that I'm just not aware of? If I wanted to buy a new 2-10-0 other than a Bachmann, where could I get it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions-----------John R

UP SD40-2

IHC has a HUGE selection of steam engines:thumb:. there "Premiere" line runs quite well, and is pretty reliable;). hope that helps:thumb:. :D -Deano

Jim Krause

I'm like you, Bachmann is my steam engine source. Broadway Limited, Mantua, IHC all have steamers. Browse the ad's in MR and other magazines for steam. Be aware that some of them can be older models still on the shelf.

jr switch

Deano, thanks for the tip on IHC. Looks like most makers, if not all, are listed. It's a goldmine! Thanks again---
Jim, most of my Backmanns run fine, but the Decapods, [ my favorite ], are plagued with contacts shorting out--still waiting to get one of them back from Bachmann--John R

pgandw

BLI has produced quite a selection of steam in recent years, as have IHC and Spectrum. Walters/Proto2K have made a few, as has Athearn. The Roundhouse line of "Old Timers" is being produced again, with some improvements. Model Power has brought back much of the Mantua line. Some Rivarossi and Trix are still available. And if you want the pride of saying I built it, Bowser offers quite a selection of Pennsylvania and other NE roads as kits.

RTR selection has never been greater. Kit availability has taken a hit, though. :(

my thoughts, your choices

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The switchers (0-6-0 and 0-8-0) from LifeLike/Proto2000 - now offered by Walthers - are excellent. Can't comment on their other steamers, but expect they would also be good.

Andrew

Kanawha

I'm awaiting the delivery of a BLI Mikado. It has DCC and sound, and should it run on a non-DCC layout, it automatically switches to DC mode. My friend has a Proto Heritage series Berkshire and he is very happy with it. It pulls 30-40 cars pretty easily and the detail level is great. I would say BLI and Proto are the two leaders in RTR HO steam.

jr switch

I just got my new 4-6-4 Hudson by Rivarossi and I'm very impressed with the quality. Beautiful, crisp casting, reasonable detail, runs very slowly, quiet and smooth. At this point, I'm sort of lukewarm on Bachmann. Something interesting though, I was waiting on my two Decapods to be returned and saw the 2-10-2 "light",[ very close to the same value], called and asked if they would just send me the 2-10-2 in place of the two Decapods and the girl at Bachmann said, " sure, no problem". I still have the one Decapod that works fine and this is a pretty cool looking 2-10-2, so I'm happy with this solution. Just thought it was interesting that they would do this.
Eventually, I'll have to get the Heavy Mountain, but right now, Micro-Mark has them back-ordered and they have the best prices by far, so I'll be patient.

Kanawha

Yeah, BLI has a lot of engines on backorder too. Its kind of annoying. Do you know if Rivarossi makes a C&O Hudson?

jr switch

You know, I can't answer your question. You might just call Micro-mark and ask if they have anything other than New York Central in the 4-6-4. Try them at 800-225-1066 or www.micromark.com. They have been very helpful anytime Iv'e called and their service is outstanding. Every time Iv'e ordered something from them, I get it in two or three days.
The Hudson is pretty cool. Seems to be well engineered, fair amount of detail. The thing that impressed me the most, is it is very quiet and very smooth. One thing I haven't seen before is a metal "tee" in place of the tender knuckle coupler. Easy fix, just replace with the correct coupler.
Don't really know much about the Rivarossi's, this is the first one Iv'e had, but many times Iv'e read that they are a high quality engine. At $169.00, I think it's well worth it. Just wish Rivarossi or Broadway Ltd. made a Decapod.