Steam excursion trip

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here are a few shots of a recent excursion trip for Ontario Hydro, run by the CNR in conjunction with the Grand Valley and its subsidiary Erie Northshore.

Here's the excursion loco, CNR J-4-d 5107, passing through Elfrida.
Train_Brain_068.jpg

Tacked onto the rear of the Special, combine Willowpoint is the usual morning accomodation for the subdivision and is normally run as part of a mixed train. The baggage compartment prevents the locals from mingling with the excursionists.
Train_Brain_071.jpg

The visiting Pacific, pulling into Lowbanks.
Train_Brain_103.jpg

Train_Brain_104.jpg

Mixed in among the CNR and GVC coaches was mountain observation car Mt. Resplendent, a long way from her usual haunts in the Canadian Rockies.
Train_Brain_106.jpg

Here's a better view of her, as she passed through Elfrida earlier.
Train_Brain_072.jpg

The platform is empty, with the last excursion bus ready to leave.
Train_Brain_109.jpg

The final bus heads to the beach and amusement park on Lake Erie.
Train_Brain_113.jpg

And one last shot, from between the back of the station and Hoffentoth Bros. icehouse. As you can see, some strange sky effects in some of the photos: must be from light refraction.:eek:ops: :rolleyes:
Train_Brain_114.jpg

I hope that you've enjoyed our little excursion.

Wayne

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Fantastic photos, the varnish in the 4th picture really caught my eye with that paint scheme. I also really like the last picture -Wayne,is that part of the main, or an industry spur track? Once again, fine modeling.
Stuart

L

lester perry

Dr Wayne
You have captured things on your layout that I love. Some nice details without over doing it. I like the track passing between buildings. I hope your Ideas are not copyrighted. Les

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks for the compliments, folks, I'm pleased that you've enjoyed this.
Stuart, that track in the last photo is the siding for Hoffentoth Bros. Ice. I was just attempting to post a different view of it, but the Photobucket site is down for maintenance, so I can't get to it. If you go to Page 7 in this Forum, the thread is entitiled "Extra 727 East". The 6th or 7th photo shows the ice plant and the west end of the station.
Les, everything that I post is for sharing, and anyone is welcome to take from it whatever suits their needs. Your enjoyment of it makes it all worthwhile.

Wayne

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Wayne, another outstanding job! :thumb:

You take photography, modeling, and storytelling to a new level in my book. Whenever I'm looking at one of your threads, it's like I can feel myself being there in that spot, right as it happens.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Again, thanks for the warm reception. Ross, the loco belongs to cn nutbar, and is a brass import. The cab is called a vestibule, or all-weather cab, and was a popular feature on many CNR and CPR locomotives, and was also used on some U.S. roads. If you want to convert a loco, Precision Scale makes a kit for a similar cab, in either brass or plastic. I'm using a brass one to convert an old Akane USRA 2-10-2 into a CNR T-3-a, also for Mister Nutbar.

Wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
ross---here's another shot of the "all weather" cab that doctor wayne pointed out.as you can see,the 5107 has returned to the land of the pink expanses

250306020.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hey, if they block out Photobucket, I'll bet that they also block out those "find a new job" sites too!:D Now, announce1 GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I think that your crews would thank you. The Central Vermont, a Canadian National subsidiary, used all-weather cabs on some of their locos, and quite a few locomotives from the Canadian National itself ran on CV trackage at one time or another.

Wayne