Steam excursion trip

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by doctorwayne, Apr 17, 2006.

1. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Here are a few shots of a recent excursion trip for Ontario Hydro, run by the CNR in conjunction with the Grand Valley and its subsidiary Erie Northshore.

Here's the excursion loco, CNR J-4-d 5107, passing through Elfrida.

Tacked onto the rear of the Special, combine Willowpoint is the usual morning accomodation for the subdivision and is normally run as part of a mixed train. The baggage compartment prevents the locals from mingling with the excursionists.

The visiting Pacific, pulling into Lowbanks.

Mixed in among the CNR and GVC coaches was mountain observation car Mt. Resplendent, a long way from her usual haunts in the Canadian Rockies.

Here's a better view of her, as she passed through Elfrida earlier.

The platform is empty, with the last excursion bus ready to leave.

The final bus heads to the beach and amusement park on Lake Erie.

And one last shot, from between the back of the station and Hoffentoth Bros. icehouse. As you can see, some strange sky effects in some of the photos: must be from light refraction.:oops: :rolleyes:

I hope that you've enjoyed our little excursion.

2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

once again, stunning photos!

3. Art67

Art67 Member

Fantastic photos, the varnish in the 4th picture really caught my eye with that paint scheme. I also really like the last picture -Wayne,is that part of the main, or an industry spur track? Once again, fine modeling.
  4. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Outstanding set of photos, Wayne!
  5. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

Dr Wayne
    You have captured things on your layout that I love. Some nice details without over doing it. I like the track passing between buildings. I hope your Ideas are not copyrighted. Les
  6. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

OUTSTANDING, Doc !!!

7. interurban

interurban Active Member

Real nice Layout Doc.
    And you take great pictures.
    And ------------------------a great story :)

Makes ya want to live there.:D
  8. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Photo's Wayne. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  9. doctorwayne

Thanks for the compliments, folks, I'm pleased that you've enjoyed this.
    Stuart, that track in the last photo is the siding for Hoffentoth Bros. Ice. I was just attempting to post a different view of it, but the Photobucket site is down for maintenance, so I can't get to it. If you go to Page 7 in this Forum, the thread is entitiled "Extra 727 East". The 6th or 7th photo shows the ice plant and the west end of the station.
    Les, everything that I post is for sharing, and anyone is welcome to take from it whatever suits their needs. Your enjoyment of it makes it all worthwhile.

10. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Wayne, another outstanding job! :thumb:

You take photography, modeling, and storytelling to a new level in my book. Whenever I'm looking at one of your threads, it's like I can feel myself being there in that spot, right as it happens.
  11. ross31r

ross31r Member

Wayne thats superb as usual!

where do you get those funny cabs on your loco from?

never seen them before!
  12. doctorwayne

Again, thanks for the warm reception. Ross, the loco belongs to cn nutbar, and is a brass import. The cab is called a vestibule, or all-weather cab, and was a popular feature on many CNR and CPR locomotives, and was also used on some U.S. roads. If you want to convert a loco, Precision Scale makes a kit for a similar cab, in either brass or plastic. I'm using a brass one to convert an old Akane USRA 2-10-2 into a CNR T-3-a, also for Mister Nutbar.

13. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

ross---here's another shot of the "all weather" cab that doctor wayne pointed you can see,the 5107 has returned to the land of the pink expanses

14. ross31r

ross31r Member

ah i see, looks like a very warm place to be when the loco is working hard!
  15. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Excellent Doc, two thumbs way up for your layout. :thumb: :thumb:
  16. Twiget

Twiget Member

Photobucket is blocked on my work computer.:cry: Will check it out when I get home.
  17. doctorwayne

Hey, if they block out Photobucket, I'll bet that they also block out those "find a new job" sites too!:D Now, announce1 GET BACK TO WORK!!!

18. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Nice looking engine.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  19. ross31r

ross31r Member

you think i could get away with an "all weather cab" (is that right??) in New Hampshire???
  20. doctorwayne

I think that your crews would thank you. The Central Vermont, a Canadian National subsidiary, used all-weather cabs on some of their locos, and quite a few locomotives from the Canadian National itself ran on CV trackage at one time or another.