Steam Donkey Plans?

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Attention Logging types! (I know you're out there...:D )

While I'm aware that there are no "stock" steam donkey plans per se, I'd like to know if anyone might be able to supply rough ideas as to general sizes, measurements, and other miscellaneous information.

They were transported to the general logging area on flatcars, weren't they? If so, I'd suppose that they would have to fit on (in MY case) a narrow gauge flatcar about 30' long by 7' wide, giving me a rough idea of the length and width.

Here are a few questions that I have.

What sort of size would the skids have been?
How were the skids secured together?

I'd like to scratchbuild if I can, as I'm way too CHEAP to spend a ton of money on one of these.

Many thanks!!:)

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Hi Lighthorseman,

If you go to http://www3.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca/spe/histphotos/ and enter "donkey" or "Capilano Timber" (my favorite) under Keywords, you'll find some mighty fine photo's of steam yarders and skidders as well as other juicy logging pics.

Around these parts (British Columbia), skids on the donkeys were often each 5 to 6 feet in diameter, and up to 40 ft long (so they would fit on flat cars). When rail access was not available, these beauties would just pull themselves through the forest, sometimes for several miles, to the next yarding location.

I imagine several methods were used to create a skidder base, but the ones I have seen have notches cut in the skids for heavy timber stringers. Decking was then laid on top of the skids directly under the steam engine and cable drums.

Hope this helps. Do check out Shamus' donkey, it's sexy!:D

Stan

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Hi Lighthorseman,

If you go to http://www3.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca/spe/histphotos/ and enter "donkey" or "Capilano Timber" (my favorite) under Keywords, you'll find some mighty fine photo's of steam yarders and skidders as well as other juicy logging pics.

Around these parts (British Columbia), skids on the donkeys were often each 5 to 6 feet in diameter, and up to 40 ft long (so they would fit on flat cars). When rail access was not available, these beauties would just pull themselves through the forest, sometimes for several miles, to the next yarding location.

I imagine several methods were used to create a skidder base, but the ones I have seen have notches cut in the skids for heavy timber stringers. Decking was then laid on top of the skids directly under the steam engine and cable drums.

Hope this helps. Do check out Shamus' donkey, it's sexy!:D

Stan

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Seriously, Though...

Yes, I have looked at Shamus' article, and it's excellent. (as usual.) However, I'm working in O scale, and am hoping for general size hints. The Library pictures are a real help.

Thanks!