Steam Color Study - Crossheads

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Fluesheet, May 19, 2008.

1. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

A great photo of all the colors on and around a steam locomotive's crosshead can be found here:

RailPictures.Net Photo » Lake Superior & Ishpeming Steam 2-8-0

A lot of steam model weathering tends to be shades of gray - there's a lot of color in there men!

I have a place in my heart for this ugly beast - I was mixing cylinder lagging, replacing lubrication waste, cleaning out smokeboxes and other menial chores on this locomotive when I was a kid (dad helped found a tourist railroad on which this loco starred).

2. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Beautiful picture.
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I think there are quite a few of those LS&I 2-8-0s still operating. :)

4. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

i've never seen a color picture so close to the workings of a steam engine.thanks for the link.--josh
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Nice picture, Matt, and hardly what I'd call ugly. And with a Worthington BL feedwater heater, too! :eek:

6. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

I've always been a fan of the look of the BL's. Possibly because this one was imprinted on me long before I knew what the heck it was for. A FWH's use was somewhat academic to me until my father, who did a lot of firing while #33 was in tourist service, commented recently on how much easier his job was when the FWH was in service. Having first person stories puts a lot more interest around a topic.

As far as looks, let's just say that #33 and her sisters weren't the most aesthetically balanced locomotives... itty bitty drivers and a chunky stubby boiler. They were, however, crafted perfectly for their job hauling ore jennies. Those small drivers and huge cylinders made it the perfect drag engine with about 59,000 lbs tractive effort, not including the tender booster that were installed for some of their career. They were also, (if I recall correctly), the second heaviest consolidations ever built behind Western Maryland's I(?) class.

Incidentally, #33's sister (#34) is now in service on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, with some "kit bashing" to look more like WM engines - And they removed the FWH!

7. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

That's a fact. No idea why the LS&I didn't send them all to scrap as quickly as other railroads did with their steamers. The Hocking Valley Scenic bought #33 in the mid-sixties, but I believed the sisters and cousins stayed rooted to the ground for quite a while longer.

8. logicman

logicman Greybeard

9. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

In the first place, they were retired later than most other steam. The LS&I ran steam to 1962 - but I've never seen any photos from its last years.
  10. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

I found a page that has some photos of the LS&I dead line in 1969. Many of those engines are back in service. #33 had already been removed by this time.

This photo (and parts of others) show the tender boosters that were applied to some of the locomotives, including #33. It was removed by the Hocking Valley Scenic Railroad sometime in the 1970's and I believe sold for scrap (it and it's steam connections were difficult to maintain).

As an aside, the #33 was chosen because it had been the most recently shopped.