Starting the end first

Getting back into HO after many years(about 35 ) I am building a point to point shelf layout with a logging theme circa early 1920's Here is this months work , which is the end point of the layout .photos taken while it is still on my work bench. The two story building still under construction.note the old Riverossi couplings on he rolling stock(shows their age) Every thing scratch built except the tiny crane on the docksideand the trucks.

Attachments

• vincents landing 3.jpg
    vincents landing 3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 242
Meant to attach this photo , my pusher boat which will be named shortly " Wendy Bee " by my wife Wendy

Attachments

• wendy bee.jpg
    wendy bee.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 230

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Very nice Jimmy. You should have entered one of these photos in the April contest. Great job of weathering and a realistice scene.
Pleased to see the tug boat is named WENDY BEE.:D

RailRon

Great examples of scratchbuilding, Jimmy! The scene catches the waterfront atmosphere very well!

I love that little lighthouse on the knoll to the left. I never saw such a small one modeled before - most lighthouses on layouts are of the BIG variety, 50 ft or higher.

Thanks for sharing!

Ron

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Jimmy,
Looks real good, I do like the scratchbuilt structures, very well done indeed.
Nice work
Shamus

belg

structures

Hey Jimmy that layout of yours is well on it's way. I myself am trying to begin building some of those wonderful cardboard structures just because the price for the material is so good. I'm wondering though do you or any of the other cardboard wizards out there free-hand draw the structure sides or do you have a source for scale drawing that you then transfer and cut out?

Mike R

Jimmy....very nice work, I particularly like the shapes and finishes of the buildings.

Belg...I can't do freehand, I mainly use a steel ruler with cork on the back.;) :D

regards / Mike

TR-Flyer

Hi all:
Nice modeling Jimmy. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Belig:
I don't make many architectural models for my work these days, but when i was doing a lot of them i used strathmore, matt board, cardboard and foam core as my building materials. I found it very useful to draw the elevations of the different sides of the structures on paper and then use rubber cement to adhere the drawing to the "cardboard". Then i had good guidelines and didn't have to do layout work on a thicker, softer material. In addition, i could rework the design very quickly on paper with a parallel bar. When it's all cut out you peel the paper drawing off and rub off the rubber cement.

Regards,
Ted

belg

drawings

Guys, thank you for your input on the structure question. Ted I'm thinking that you must have been an architect or draftsman with those terms and products that you used,for us not in the field what is a parallel bar and what is strathmore? Do you have any samples of your drawings so I can get an idea of how detailed they have to be?Also any website addresses of someone with a tutorial would be really helpful. Any one who can give me info would be greatly appreciated.TIA:D :D

Tyson Rayles

Belg drop a e-mail or PM to Matthyro he has a excellent how-to with lots of pics that he can give you the link to. I would but I don't remember if it was here or at NARA. :eek: :(

Thank you all for your comments, inspiration for the Dock scene came from seeing the operation on the Eastern Shore Railroad at Cape Charles Virginia, and also the December suppliment to the Model Railroader Magazine(5 Compact track plans). My method for the buildings comes from looking at a lot of photos on the Internet down loading some and getting ideas from these. No plans, just sit down with a scale rule ,a pencil ,hobby knife, cereal boxes corrigated cardboard ,glue and follow Matthyro's instructions as shown in his clinics in the Academy (thanks Robin) Here in the RSA we have few Hobby shops that sell model railroad supplies
(hence no little people in my scene), so no Bass wood only inferior
balsa, so I use my band saw to cut thin strips of any wood I can
find lying around. Will follow the suggestions to post a photo in the contest. but first back up into my loft to take some better pictures, Hows this one in B&W

Attachments

• v l b&w.jpg
    v l b&w.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 163

jmarksbery

WOW

Luv it Jimmie B. I just luv it. I hope you don't mind, buuuuuuuut, I am like a kid with a coloring book, I just couldn't resist. I looks like a night time scene, so I did a little puter magic on your picture. Sure hope you don't mind. Oh, did I say I luv it. Every thing is so nice includeing the tug. Your wife should feel proud.
Jimmie M. :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Attachments

• vincents landing 4.jpg
    vincents landing 4.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 134
Fabulous modelling Jimmy! :eek:
I adore timber built structures, just can't see enough of them and your's makes me drool.
The whole setting looks just perfect!
It's interesting to note that JM's "fiddled" picture shows what lighting might do for your scene, I think you made a good job of that JM.

Jimmy, I hope you're going to keep posting pics of your work as you progress.

Errol