starting over!!

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
alright, the layout is coming down to start over and go with my original plan which was a dogbone style layout along the wall. I will finally take this time to paint the interior of the garage and then work will begin on the benchwork in a couple of weeks.
frustration has set in with not really doing the current one the right way:( :( . plus a friend has told me he has a lot of old ho train stuff I can have which will make the need for the bigger layout even better.:D :thumb:
one end of the layout will be the yard and industrial area, the other will be country like with the use of the current grain elevator. each end will be at least 4'x4' and then pushed as far apart as I can get them fitting in the area and then connected in the middle.
wish me luck!

CN1

May 6, 2003
Great stuff Jon.

Nothing better then to start with a "clean slate"

Keep us posted & have fun :wave:

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
starting over

John, I feel like I haven't done anything unless I tear down and start over. I'm only on my 6th or 7th, and I don't know if this will be the one or not. BTW, when do you intend to incorporate Nathaniel into the rail name?

Lynn

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Jon, I have to say that having worked on our 4x8 layout, we've already determined SOOOOO many things we would do differently on the next layout. :eek: :p I guess that is why many people on the-gauge recommend starting off small, learning from your first attemps, then moving on to the next layout. :thumb: We've already invested so much time and energy in our current layout that we really want to finish it. (We're compulsive in that way ;) and it is really modeling a specific time and place, so it has a lot of meaning to us).:) We'll incorporate all we have learned into the next one -- switching yards, operations, more industries, etc. We've been railfanning as well, so much new info to process. :D

If you have the motivation to start over based on what you have learned so far, great ! :) We'll look to learn from you guys on what you do next. :wave:
--Cabdriver

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
yellowlynn said:
BTW, when do you intend to incorporate Nathaniel into the rail name?

Lynn

if you ask Andrew, he would tell you I don't let him have enough input into the layout. I couldn't do all he wants to do. and Nathaniel is in the seek and destroy mode at this age. but soon enough, he will be right there. don't want them growing up to fast.
thanks everyone, I was kinda feeling guilty about starting a layout and getting frustrated that it wasn't turning out like I thought. I am going to make sure I put down foam as the base of the layout. just one of the many things I want to do differently.

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
John,
Just one comment on the foam for future reference, and for what it is worth -- When we laid ours, we could only get one inch foam. We debated, should we put two or three layers, or just go with one. :confused: We decided on one layer since we didn't know how "mushy" multiple layers would be for the running locos and for laying the track. ;) Well, wish we had gone with 2-3 inches of foam. :eek: :eek: Gives you so much more flexibility to shape rivers, lakes and other lower level carved out structures. In HO scale you need the extra depth that 2-3 inches provides. The foam is so easy to work with and yet several layers is still very rigid from a track point of view. Just one of our lessons learned.
Great luck guys on the new layout! :p

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Good luck with the new layout John. I too have run into many problems with my current layout and have a list as long as my arm of things I'd do differently. There have been times I've thought of ripping it all out and starting over, but then what about all the mistakes I haven't come to yet? Gotta get those out of the way, so I've been plugging along. Once it's finished, I'll rip it out and do it properly next time!!

Anyway. have fun. Starting fresh can be so great!!!

Val

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
J&A_RR said:
frustration has set in with not really doing the current one the right way:( :( . plus a friend has told me he has a lot of old ho train stuff I can have which will make the need for the bigger layout even better

I wish I had friends like yours that would "burden" me with lots of old HO train stuff. :)

Soulds like you're doing the right thing. I've often thought the same thing, but know if I tear down what I've completed to start over, I'll never get started again.
Let us know how it's going along the way.

Doc

P.S. I agree, you better change the name to the JNA RR when you have the chance.