Starting over

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Well I messed up.

I was using Bachmann EZ Track first of all. Next I didnt take into account the bridges when I first laid down the foam for my layout and I should have put down a full sheet of 2 inch foam before I began building up the scenery and roadbed because the river I had planned wont work with the bridges only 1/4 of an inch from the wood of the table.

So I am starting over with my 4x8 layout and this time I am going to do it right.

I am building this time as a freelance based loosly on the Nantahala Gorge along Highway 64 in North Carlolina and into Tennessee. There is a Track on one side of the river there and a 2 lane highway that both follow the river.

I will be makeing this a two loop layout with a high and low set of tracks, One running along a ridge on the mountain and around and another following the river. There will be a mountain in the middle of the back of the layout that will have tunnels for both loops as well as a passing siding that skirts the outside of the mountain curve around the tunnel and the lower track will be similar only smaller in radius for the curves.

All of this will be done with code 100 Atlas NS Flextrack and roadbed instead of snap track, and I will be trying to solder the joints as well as having feeders for my DCC as I lay the track for the best possible power on my track.

This layout should turn out to be really fun to build with lots of hills and a river with lots of activity on it since the Nanthala is a rafting and Kayaking hot spot in the summer and I hope to simulate the near gridlock on the highway during the summer months when all those rafting buses clog up things with their loads of thrill seekers.

I should be able to have a lot of fun as well making the small towns and tourist shops along the road.

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
well I went to the LHS today and picked up some things.

First I piceked up a layaway I had of a Stewart F-7 A/B set in Clinchfield paint scheme that is DCC ready.

Second I picked up the last 30 feet of flew track for a total of 60 feet, as well as one Atlas Turnout for fitting purposes and 60 feet of AMI Instant roadbed in grey

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Oooooooops!!

No doubt you fired the surveyor who planned the route? :eek:ops: :D :D
I just hope that layout wasn't too far advanced.
Just think of the RR's who opted for narrow gauge then found they had to convert to standard gauge in the real world! :cry:
It's good to hear you have plenty of supplies now to progress at a smart pace.

Anyway, you're not the first or the last to have to start over (I do it regularly :eek:ops: )

Errol

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Wll I put down the first of what I hope to be 2 loops of track on our layout tonight.

I love the AMI Roadbed stuff. SUPER easy to use. Only took about 3 hours to lay nearly 30 feet of flextrack with this stuff and it is very forgiving of goofs and allows oyu to pull up the oradbed and track repeatedly and reposition it to get it just where you want it.

Also, I have a new favorite Loco. The Stewart F7 runs completely silent, the rolling stock makes more noise than this loco does I was amazed. Now to put a DCC decoder in it and see how well she does.

I am sold on Stewart as a good brand after this one. Solid metal frame that goes all the way up to the top of the shell, Yellow LED headlight and DCC socket all pre installed, even the motors and headlight have quick disconnects inside the loco on the circuit card for ease of accessing the motor underneath with no fuss.

I pulled all my rolling stock behind this unit as well as it's dummy B Unit and it ran like a dream, nice a slow and smooth.

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Well I finished the ballasting tonight for the loop, Looks like the second loop is going to be scratched in favor of small sidings, just not enough room to get it and still have a decent turn radius.

I have a small working siding as well as the loop and I am debating on whether to put a small yard on the back side of the layout (it will be later turned 90 degree to allow access to both 8 foot sides)

Right now we are up to the planning the scenery stage of things, I may pick up a couple more snap switches on payday perhaps and start work on that yard. I gotta have someplace to store all my extra rolling stock when it isnt working after all.

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Nice layout!
Mine is currently in the: I planned to many short sidings and not enough long ones so I need more buildings to cover all of them: stage
O darn more buildings
and I find it ironic that what you did was almost exactly what i did for the 4th time last month but they start overs were because of not liking the track plan and a new variety of Steamers and passenger cars that didnt fit the radius'

So I hope you enjoy your new layout as much as I did and do the first.... second.....third... fourth time

Eric