Starting over with KATO Unitrack

bosay831

I need to get some opinions on KATO unitrack from those who use it and have used it. I am a model railroader who had trains as a child and a couple of years ago after a visit to a good hobby shop decided to get back into the hobby. I ran out and brought almost everything I could afford that I like once I had selected my layout plan. As it turned out I bit off more than I could chew as having two very young children, work, and going to school full time bit into my train time. Soon my layout was collecting dust. Just recently I picked it back up and wired everything up but like I said I tried to do too much and the setup does not work as I envisioned it would. I have decided I need to start over again and this time pace myself slower getting back into this hobby. Right now I have found out from working on this layout I am not into all the finer details and would rather have a layout that is easy to setup and get running. That is why I have decided to do this new layout using KATO unitrack. Yes I know it's pricey but I have found some dealers who chop a lot off the MSRP. What I need to know right now before I dive into this is what is general opinion on unitrack? It it reliable? Thanks for your opinions. Sorry this is so long.

------------------
DocBosay

Art Lamb

I use Kato Unitrack for temp layouts, and have to say it always works great. I have not tired it in a permanent layout so don't know about that. It is easy to put together, and you don't have to worry about those funny little bends and twists that flex can do at times.

Only downside I have seen is that it is kind of expensive.
Art

bnsf971

I have a permanent-full-fledged layout using exclusively Unitrack. The only problems I seem to have is that occasionally one of the rail joiners gets dirty or corroded (I live in humid Florida), and I have to pull apart a couple of track sections to replace the affected joiner.
Unitrack comes in a variety of lengths and radii, so you should be able to do almost anything you can do with sectional track.
The only real "downside" I have found is that my fellow model railroaders think I am a little strange for using this stuff for a permanent layout, but I go for reliability and ease of assembly over appearance.
Terry