Starting Layout

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Ordered the Unitrack,have the plywood and willpick up the scenic woodlands incline sets tonight. Next I have ti convince my wife that I need to do this. I refined my layout using software.I added a siding and figured out how to do the inclines.It will be 2 % for a distance of 16 feet. I will add some pictures later.

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Grade Error

I just picked up an error in figuring out the grade. I mistakenly used 1 foot instead of 6 inches on the grid. I do not have the 16 feet I thought I had. I will use 3% grade for 12 feet.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I like your style, mrgooch!
Order everything, & THEN convince your wife that you need to do it! :D

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Permanent Home

This will be the home of my new addition to the scenic ridge. I had to order new 3% incline set as they had none in stock [ 4 day delay ]. I have a computerized layout without track description,that should be fun trying to figure out what track goes where.

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Mrgooch, Looking very nice!! Thats the way I've been building layout, build one section, get it just about finished then add on. I always leave myself at least one out so I can have someplace to hook the new extention into without having to tear up already finished parts. I'm on my third extention and have plans for about a dozen more so far. I can end up with a total size of about 24' by 30' :eek:

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
The Next Step

I spent some time on my new addition today. I removed some track and cut out the area where the connection will be made. I used a long steak knife [ cuts foam great ] and cut an opening the size of the new risers. The bottom of the layout is my starting point,I always no where I am from the there and measure up. In one picture you can see the risers temporarily in place just for show. Sorry forgot to post pictures.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
How tidy!

My my my, Mr Gooch!
Fabulous work! :eek: Just the best, but please let us in on your secret! :cool: Where's the mess on the floor and everywhere else?? Never seen such a tidy layout workspace! :D Congrats on your ability to maintain a spotless floor, wall, shelves, boxes, cartons, hammers and associated "junk"!! :D :D

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Cleanliness is next to -well you know

Woodie actually when I work I always have a portable vacuum near me. When cutting foam I pick up after each cut. It saves running around after those little foam dingies later.:)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It must be wonderful to come to work on that neat neat clean space and layout.
Come to my space and hear me say "where is the dang thing" :eek: or whatever as it can take anywhere from ten minutes or more to get going on something productive.
mrgooch you sure do things right so don't let any of us tell you anything different.

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Layout Update

I had to wait for 3% incline set, no one had them. I put down the inclines and have the track layout completed. I just added plaster cloth to the inclines. Put a lake in,I will pour the envirotex tomorrow. I have added another siding [ thats 2 ] If my back holds out I will have the mountains in tomorrow. One in each corner very steep and will have only pines.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Thats great progress you have made mrgooch. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Vic, if you think you have the messiest layout area just post a picture of it and I will post one and I am sure I would win the contest.