Starting Layout

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Rich Fatch, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Rich Fatch

Rich Fatch New Member

I am looking for suggestions. I am starting a 9X5 O guage layout. I have my bench built and it is topped off with I/2 inch plywood. Before I start to layout the Atlas "century21" track with molded road bed, I want to cover the plywood with sound retarding material. What is good for that purpose? Any suggestions.
  2. Marxed

Marxed Member

i know of people laying there track on quark rail beds and stuff.... are you going cover the entire layout or just lay your track down on it???? if you want to get quark (atleast i think it was quark), just check out your local hobby shop maybe

i've allways enjoyed the sound of the cars rumbling around the track, when i get six trains running at once, thats one nice sound! :thumb:
  3. Rich Fatch

Rich Fatch New Member

Thanks for the suggestion Karl, I do plan to cover the whole 9X5 with something softer to drive the rail tie screws into. I will need to checkout the cost of your suggeestion to see if it is feasible.
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

several friends of mine cover the entier top with 1" to 2" foam and then just use double face tape to hold the track in place.

I did mine a little different. I added extra ties, which are made of foam to my 027 tinplate track and then just screw it down.

5. Rich Fatch

Rich Fatch New Member

Thanks Tom. Is there any concern about fire hazard using the foam? Also is the foam your friends use the foam insulation sheet from Home Depot?
  6. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

7. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

For the old-fashioned tinplate look, I used green indoor-outdoor carpet over my plywood. Put the track and accessory screws and wiring right through it. On my Christmas layout I used 1/4in plywood (painted green) on top of a framed foam base.

When I used cork roadbed in HO with sectional track, I nailed the cork to the table and used track nails (19 gauge wire brads) for the track. Nowadays, preferred method is to glue the cork using pins, tacks, or nails to hold until glue dries. Latex caulk seems to have the best overall characteristics from my reading. Latex caulk might also work for the Atlas track, but I'm not so sure about curves holding together if you are running heavy high speed trains in 3 rail O. Perhaps try the latex caulk, and if it's not holding, back it up with track nails that extend through the cork in those places.

yours in tracking
  8. Rich Fatch

Rich Fatch New Member

Thanks Fred for your info, I do like the indoor/outdoor carpeting idea. Atlas has a molded roadbed which the 3rail track sections fits into. So that will provide the rail roadbed effects but does not offer much cushioning between the track and table surface. The carpet will do that. Thanks agian.