starting from scratch

robert6936

Jan 30, 2007
Well I am new to this site and new to what is available early 70's I operated tyco rolling stock HO 4x8 brass tracks oval due lack of money and space far as I got, has anyone purchased atlas layout packages, Model Train Help EBook, track packages and Ebook are they worth the money. The layout table I plan to build 4 x 16 or 8 x 16 appreciate any direction any one can give me.train97

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Welcome!

The best direction I can give you is to look around ;) The Gauge has all kinds of resources for newbies, experts, and "returnees" too... We have a track planning forum as well where you can kick your ideas around.

I have no experience with the Atlas track packages, or the EBook, but I am not a big fan of their "set layouts". I think you can do much better and find something that works for you, rather than taking a plan someone else devised.

Hope that helps. Take a look around and ask anything you'd like :)

Andrew

Go Big1

Dec 29, 2006
NW Suburbs of Chicago
From one newbie to the hobby (me) to a newbie to The Gauge, let me say Welcome Aboard! I have found this site to be a great resource for someone that has very little knowledge of model railroading. Like Andrew said, spend some time going through threads in the forums here, and you will pick up on a lot of the new technologies (like DCC) for HO trains.

As far as trackplans, I downloaded the free trackplan software from Atlas's website (called Righttrack). Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy to use, and it let's you plan what YOU want to do, as opposed to taking someone else's plan.

Good luck

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The layout table I plan to build 4 x 16 or 8 x 16 appreciate any direction any one can give me.
I just hope you're not thinking of a solid 8x16 table. You'll need an access aisle. Also, if you're thinking in that size range, I have to ask: Can you go around the walls instead of free-standing? Does the layout have to be sectional/portable?

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Go Big1 said:
As far as trackplans, I downloaded the free trackplan software from Atlas's website (called Righttrack). Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy to use, and it let's you plan what YOU want to do, as opposed to taking someone else's plan.

Good luck
Of course, don't feel constrained by what RightTrack gives you, either. The software provides only some of the many options available. Other vendors supply a variety of other turnout geometries, for example. Like curved turnouts - so cool. Then of course, there's the ultimate in flexibility: hand-laid track.

Let your imagination run, then see if you can get there.