Starship Troopers Roger Young-Bob's Build

roger439

Dec 1, 2011
Louisiana
sry f131 did not mean to stump u LOL but it has me really confused as well.oh well just may add a little character to the ship....thx 4 the help

roger439

Dec 1, 2011
Louisiana
hey i have a "dumb" question... has anyone ever taken measurements of the individual parts.I am going to tackle reenforcing the ship with hobby styrofoam and was hoping to get a little idea of how much i might need before i start.I hate to have to stop in the middle to go get supplies.Oh f131 i saw u had an x wing. if u r a star wars fan u should look at the thread here called r2d2 small scale and c what i posted there full color photos.If i was wrong for posting this here i am sry for the newbie mistake.

F131

F131
Mar 27, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I think I went through 1 full "display" size poster board and about a quarter of a second. I'm using the leftovers for my SW Republic Gunship and future projects. At Michaels Craft Shop they sell poster board in all different sizes. Yes, I do like your R2D2. I think I posted a comment about it. Keep the questions coming.

roger439

Dec 1, 2011
Louisiana
sry guys been busy lately.i am slowly starting my build.i have the nose built and just finished BL2 alternate.will have to send pics later camera needs a new battery.I am having decent success with using hobby craft Styrofoam to fill the inside of each section.i get so involved with working on it i forget pics.Any way just letting everyone know i'm still around.

roger439

Dec 1, 2011
Louisiana
Well i am still alive here. I have started my RY but i am using the alt parts.I seem to have run into a problem that i hope someone can help me with.I have built the first 10 pcs.nose,NL,BL 1,2,3,4,5,bridge,and BSU L/R.I used the alt parts NL,BL2,bridge,and BSU L/R.As i started to assembly them they will not line up on the BSU sections.There is a gap between BL1,and BL2, and BL4&5 wont fit on the slope they end up about a 1/4" past onto the flat part.It appears either BL2 is too long or BSU is too short.Anyone have any idea how i messed this up?Pics r forth coming.wall1

F131

F131
Mar 27, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Well i am still alive here. I have started my RY but i am using the alt parts.I seem to have run into a problem that i hope someone can help me with.I have built the first 10 pcs.nose,NL,BL 1,2,3,4,5,bridge,and BSU L/R.I used the alt parts NL,BL2,bridge,and BSU L/R.As i started to assembly them they will not line up on the BSU sections.There is a gap between BL1,and BL2, and BL4&5 wont fit on the slope they end up about a 1/4" past onto the flat part.It appears either BL2 is too long or BSU is too short.Anyone have any idea how i messed this up?Pics r forth coming.wall1

Post some pics so I can see what referring too. I found the original bridge part had slight gaps that required additional printed parts to cover the gaps, but all the hull sections fit well. I took a lot of build pics, hopefully they will help. We will get you through this.
Bob

roger439

Dec 1, 2011
Louisiana
please dont laugh too hard at this build lol ....also need to know exact placement of the BSU's on the bottom. i had alot of pics showing what i did to make a sturdier build but i has a bad sd card and lost them. sry guys

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 13

F131

F131
Mar 27, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Ok, I downloaded the instructions and I see what your working with. Everything looks salvageable to me. Just make sure your BL parts match the illustration and are straight. The BSU section is there to connect the bridge section to the flat mid deck platform aft, and will be (fairly) buried by the rest of the ship. I had a few gaps, but printed out extra mid deck platform sheets and cut the paper to fill in the gaps. It also did a nice job of tying one section of the hull to the next.
I work until tomorrow, but I will give you the measurement of the space needed between the 2 BSU parts. I glued my too close together and then had problems fitting in the wedge assembly.
You are doing great. Finishing this beast is an accomplishment.:wave:
BTW, I never found a place for this part (last pic).

Attachments

• RJ Pic 4.jpg
    RJ Pic 4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 14
  • RJ Pic 3.jpg
    RJ Pic 3.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 11
  • RJ Pic.jpg
    RJ Pic.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 151

F131

F131
Mar 27, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Roger, the parts should look something like this.
Also, very important, so your "wedge supports" fit between your launch bays, glue the launch bays at least 3 3/8" (inside measurement). Other wise you will have to glue the wedge supports below the launch bays....like I did.:curse:

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 20

roger439

Dec 1, 2011
Louisiana
Cool thx for the help... i c wat u r talking about.The piece u said u never found a place for is for the nose section to b used instead of the bigger one.I read this in a post on here somewhere i think.It was for ppl who wanted less nose.Your pics will help alot.Thanks again. Will upload more later.

roger439

Dec 1, 2011
Louisiana
Well i took your advice F131 i started a new thread but not sure where it was put.suppose to be science fiction and fantasy but i dont c it after i left it.

erebus

Jan 22, 2012
First off, epic build man really loved every step of your work. impressive stuff not gonna lie. i'm thinking of doing my own build, but what glue do you recommend for regular paper models and this kinda build. I've been doing paper models ever since i was a kid but my family uses only uhu organic german glue and they've stopped that line here. Is scotch applicator any good and if so could you recommend a couple others in the north american region to use? thanks! the supplies are running out here....

Z

Zathros

I have no idea what is available in Germany, but if you can get a glue called "Zip Dry", it is great for big sections.

adh-tape-zip-dry-glue.jpg

roger439

Dec 1, 2011
Louisiana
The glue Zathros recommends is the best glue for the job.I also use loctite super glue for added strength after the other glue sets. It also drys clear.Someone else here told me about that. Gd luck on your build.I am only ten pieces into mine and it is already cool looking.