Starship Troopers- Rodger Young

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Thanks for providing this awesome model E. If there is a 'history of paper models' highlight reel...this model should go on it.

I built it back as a beta builder and loved the thing so much I still have it (a little faded and droopy, but still BIG). Here are just a few of the shots I dug up, that were posted back in the day.

These are all pictures of my actual paper model build (some slapped into a space background).

The launch bay doors were a separate creation, but hopefully Ekuth has included them in his model. If not, contact me.

Attached Files:

SEBRET Member

Thats weird. I dont have the launh bays or the bottom half of the nose in my copy of the model. Where can i get those?
  3. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

*Whistles* Wow, great design Ekuth, and beautimous build Hot4Darmat =o
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Dammit, I completely forgot about the launch bay mod and the bottom of the nose!

Lemme dig around and see if I can find it. I saved everything, I'm a data packrat...
  5. wedge

wedge Member

Beautiful lady :thumb::mrgreen:
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, I dug out all the "revision" files I could find and threw them into one zip file. I posted them in the download section along with the beta, so dig in!

Hot4Darmat's Bay Facings, the missing lower nose and several parts revisions to correct errors/ease building.
  7. Paladin

Paladin Member

Anyone have the tiny tac fighter file? I tried to download the one posted earlier in this thread, but when trying to open it with winRAR, I get an error message saying its either incomplete or damaged.
  8. Kjev

Kjev Member

9. lajosba

lajosba New Member

nice work
  10. lurtz

lurtz New Member

Man this thing is nice!

Ekuth, could you post a dorsal plan view photo of the finished model? That would be terrific. TIA.
  11. melvin008

melvin008 New Member

That thing is huge...i wonder how many ink cartridges will be required to print the Rodger...maybe it's best to leave that for work lol :p
  12. mysteroid

mysteroid Member

Yeah, you ain't kidding. I got some help printing it so no worries about ink. But if I did it myself...:cry:

There's a thread here or at PM where Sebret has printed the RY out at 1/2 size (I think). That would be a good compromise. The model is still impressive and it won't break the bank.

13. MoFaux

MoFaux New Member

I don't think I have the shelfspace for this one.
  14. Andre

Andre New Member

hello this ship is very cool :)
    who can this download or you send my to e-mail
  15. mysteroid

mysteroid Member

Hi Andre,

The file is right here in the Zealot download section. Be sure to post some pictures when you're done!

16. Napoleon1

Napoleon1 New Member

that is impressive!
  17. F131

F131 Member

A superb build!!!!! Did you do anything special, internally, to keep your parts straight. Usually, it seems, the bigger the model the more the sag. I would also be interested in any building tips/tricks/special parts people used on their builds.
  18. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Thanks. More thanks should go to Ekuth for creating such a well-made model.

I did nothing to brace it internally, but if I did this again, I would plan abit better and do so. The model actually holds together quite well, given there are so many blocks. It is surprisingly rigid with all those boxes stuck together. There are a few places that really demand internal support: The biggest box, part of the main body aft of the 'landing platform' is just too big and needed some cardboard internal braces. Also, the engine arms are the first place you'll see sagging. I would create a foamcore or cardboard "X" shape that can accomodate the rearward sweep, but retain their profile so that they can hold up. This model begs to be suspended from a ceiling, so to do that, you'd need to plan ahead where the attach points are going to be and what size of dowel should run the length of it. Consider making it in 2 or 3 detachable sections for easier storage and transportation. Good luck!
  19. F131

F131 Member

Thank you for the advice. Did you assemble each part first, before gluing them together? I agree, suspending this beauty would be ideal, but my wife would disagree. My hobby, cheaper than going to the bars, requires shelf space, and this ship might be too big. I'm afraid to mess with scaling but this demands to be made.
    And yes, thank you Ekuth for this great model!
  20. MTK

MTK Active Member

That is a big model and an excellent build. If I didn't have so much on my plate I would give it a shot myself. ekuth, what program did you use to design it and what did you use for refs? Was this a CG, or video game file?