Stargate fans

entity789

Dec 9, 2004
Hi all,

I'm working on my first layout and plan on adding one object from my favorite scifi shows, Stargate SG-1. I am attempting to build an HO scale model of a stargate. Unfortunatly my working knowledge (or lack thereof) of wormhole physics prevents me from making it a fully functional model.

I started by calculating the dimensions then modeling it out of granite colored Sculpey. Getting a perfect circle was beyond my skill, but it's fairly decent, and when finished, should look fine. I then wired together 7 3mm red LEDs and an appropriate resistor so it would function with my power pack.

I plan on putting a piece of stained glass into the center backlit with a blue LED to mimick an activated gate.

Here are some pics of the work in progress and a pic of the glass I plan to use. I still need to paint the 39 simbols and other design work onto the face.

It should look pretty cool when I finish.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to make a more perfect circle out of clay?

Jonathan

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 461
  • stargate 1.JPG
    stargate 1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 456
  • stargate 2.JPG
    stargate 2.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 456
  • stargate 3.JPG
    stargate 3.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 467
  • stargate 4.JPG
    stargate 4.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 465

entity789

Dec 9, 2004
I thought about using some type of cookie cutter, the problem is that to make it to scale I need very specific radii (I don't happen to have the numbers with me). What I did was used a compas to get circles then a fine blade exacto knife to cut throught the clay. A problem with working with soft clay is it tends to disfigure with pressure. I'll probably end up just sanding the edges to smooth out some of the more obvious bumps.

For anyone that's curious, the train in the pics is my Acela (which won't be actually going through the gate). I'm planning on mounting the gate into the side of a mountain to hide the wires and shield any extra light that may leek from the blue LED backlight.

Now if I can only finish my layout :( When I started this project, I had no idea how many new tools I'd be needing. I am quickly surpassing my wifes scrapbooking budget. :)

entity789

Dec 9, 2004
Yeah, I probably will. I still have clay and a couple LEDs left over. I'm also thinking about scattering some ruins (probably of Greek or Roman design) about the scene. Probably just some cracked or fallen pillars to give the "ancient" feel. All this stuff will be in the park area of my layout.

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Shaygetz-
Which Battlestar do you say rules? I've watched both, but still prefer the original.
THe new one is WAY to preachy for me. If they kill the Preaching, it would be EXCELLENT!

Michael

Sempak

Jun 19, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
*digs up old post*

What schematics/drawings did you use for the stargate? I'm thinking of doing something similar myself but I havent found anything accurate to base it on.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
capt_turk said:
Why not have the train go thru the stargate? ......... That would open up "all kinds" of possibilities for modeling.

...with properly arranged staging tracks, in goes 3 SD70MACs pullin' a pig train, out comes a cab-forward pullin' a PFE and a bobber. :thumb: :thumb:

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
Just an idea. The star gate doesn't usually set against anything. Take a strip of plastic mirror, and make a tube between the gate, and whatever you are backed up against. That way you wouldn't see the train behind the gate, just the reflection of the background. Make the mirror double sided for visual effects inside the gate too. Invisible train behind the gate!

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
forgive me here, but the gate is not big enough to have a modern train go through it (it's about 1 person in radious, aproxx 6 feet). you would have to scale the train down to support such an opperation, then yuo have to make sure all the track on both side is exactly perfectly lined up. and then ensure there's clearance on all sides going through a round opening.

it would be betetr to model a staion type deal, have pasengers arrive via train to a platform connected to the gate, then the people would transition through the gate to the funny worlds. this way you could model the gate open with a peice of mirror and some semi-transparent blue paint swirled on it.