StarFox Great Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Soaring, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

By the way, I messed up a part on the wing, sadly, so I have to take some time to delete every single part...of that wing of course >_>

I won't work on it much today, I just got BF:2142 Northern Strike, and I'd like to get a Faster Squad beacon :)

Also, I'm going to go back to the wingsd, and add some tiny touch ups, some slanted pieces of armor, a little more greebles, here and there.
  2. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

3. Soaring

Thanks Getter 1 for the rescources, this is an absolute fantastic site. I found a great image of the Landmaster.

I have a request for you guys and gals viewing this thread, does anyone happen to know where I can find the insignia on the Great FOx? It should be the one in red, that says Star Fox, and is on the Tail fin. I have a very tiny picture of it, but I'd like
    to texture it through meta.
    And...what do you guys prefer? Models from Ye Old School Starfox, or a step into the future?

As for the Great Fox, I clened up some tiny mistakes, no real attachments to show. To finalize the wings, I plan to add some more "Cracked armor"
    View post 16, attachment 1. I'd like to fill in some of that black on the wing, to look like a trench, in the upper area of the wings. I'll do that tonight, and start more tomorrow.

SEBRET Member

To be honest with ya, Starfox64 beats everything in my book.
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

To be honest, I prefer the look of the SNES Arwing to the N64 version. The one in the manual. It has that hard-edged look I prefer in starships.
  6. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

I have to agree with you. The original is my favorite to :D

All the others are great but the original has the perfect look.

It's funny, a paper model of that Arwing was published in Nintendo Power Magazine back in the day. I wante dto build one but didn't like the textures on it and at the time I was not into paper models. I traced the patterns to balsa wood and built it up. I painted it and marked it based ont he original blueprint's panel lines. That model sparked my intrest in paper models and I've been hooked ever since :p

7. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Glad that site helps. I found it very useful when I was doing up some Arwings.

As for prefrence, I perfer the older SF stuff but I think an Assault ver of the Arwing would be fantastic :D I'm liking the DS stuff as well.

8. Soaring

Well, I took a 3 hour rest today, and only started modeling as of now. Still no difference in the images above, save for the fact that I deleted 2 wings on the GreatFox, I'll mirror them later. I'll post some finished pictures of the wings today :) Sorry for the delay!

:rolleyes: Looks like you guys like your original games, I guess I can get a hold of more pictures for them old school renditions ^_^
  9. Soaring

Whoot! I finished the set of wings, detailed, fixed and all the little things :thumb:

However, I still feel as if I can give it some more detail, what do you guys think? Should I go another day on the wings, or just move on?
    I added some more armor plates, so the darkened areas wouldn't look so bad. And that's all I basically did ^_^

Hope you guys like it!
    Off topic wise..- My test scores finally came in, and I got advanced :mrgreen: Now my parents know that papercrafting isn't a distraction :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Lookin great Soaring :D I'ld say move on so you don't get bogged down with details on one part and loose steam. YOu can always go back and add more once the basic structure is done ;)

11. Kjev

Kjev Member

I agree with Getter1. I'd get the thing built first, then add greeblies later. I'm also a fan of texture printed right on the parts, mainly because I'm A) impatient to finish something when I get going on it, and B) less than optimally coordinated when it comes to small parts.

12. Soaring

You're right Getter, I'd better not go overstressed on one part, then end up never finishing :( I'll make sure to go back though.

Thanks for the compliment ;)

As for the model..I wanted to see what it looked like when printed out.. On the images above, I thought I set the material as a silvery color. However, once I printed it, it came out.. light blue? Cross between purple and blue?So I switched the color over to a more darked color and came out with the color I wanted. However, I'm not sure if that's the same for everyone. You see, 2 days before my vacation, my moniter
    became distorted so the colors and resolution got all jumbly. I tried to set it back to default, but I couldn't find it. So..I did it manually, and I'm certain the colors are not the same.

I attached a file, just a RAW Pepakura unfold, I'd like to know what color is the armor. Thanks!

Attached Files:

13. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

You're welcome Soaring. I've been watching your progress as a designer with intrest as your taste is similiar to mine.

I've been there on many plastic kits. Working on certian parts too long and just getting burnt out on the project. So my stradegy nowdays is to get all the quick easy stuff done first. Then work on the detailed stuff.

Oh a building tip for all those greebles. Instead of trying to make the actual boxes and what not. Just laminate the parts and cut off the sides and backs. You will achieve the same part with a LOT less hassle ;)

14. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

In my opinion, I wish it were easier to design models with thickness in mind. paper is not perfect but digital models are. In a model you can have one cylinder in another and them be the same thickness. that doesn't work in paper. basically it would be nice if you could model with surfaces that have a custom set thickness that the program pays attention to, and if it's already out there somewhere i'd love to see it.

Anyway, good work so far.
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

I'm looking forward to this model, based on what I've seen so far!

I'll echo what Getter1 said, you can achieve a lot of detail by texture, then laminating the parts you want to make 3D. This saves your sanity from having to fold those panels into boxes.
  16. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

A tip for cylinders in cylinders is to make the outer one 1st (of course). Then roll but not glue the inner one. slide it into the outer shaft and mark the seam edge on the inner one for the correct glueing line. Pul it out glue it to the line drawn on the side and wolla, a perfect inner shaft ;)

17. Soaring

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'll make sure to include a version where the boxes are only the front piece, you can just cut out the square and laminate!

However, I'm not really a replace paper for other materials guy :( However, I did add some Eraser lights for my Pelican..
    You guys are right, lamination would be the fastest way, but I just enjoy building them tiny boxes ^_^ However, I'll never build a tiny complicated piece!
  18. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

thanks for the info.
    I also was referring to shafts like rectangular and stuff. In models that are designed by others it is hard to see it coming. I'm working on a few models that were designed by people who did not seam to take the thickness issue to mind when working on the designs. the worst part is that with more complicated parts, you cant just trim off one edge a little to compensate.

I agree with you soaring. small straight edge boxes are fun, but wierd shapes aren't.
  19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

I got a tip on that to :p

If you can edit the parts into a paint type program the inner parts should be 3% smaller than the outer shell. That should give you a perfect part every time.

20. Millenniumfalsehood