Starcraft Goliath Kitbash

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kjev, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Kjev

Kjev Member

I had begun this about 7 months ago when I lost my desktop system. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I started over.

When it's finished, it will be a 28mm-scale rendition of the Goliath 'mech from Starcraft. I know it's not 100% accurate, but really, have you tried to get a good high-res shot from the game?

Credit where credit is due, this is more or less a kitbash. The body is courtesy of Mel Ebbles Chapparal Attack Bike, and the hips are from either Zecks' or Shiftdel's Generic joints set. The legs and feet will probably come from one of Shiftdel's battlemechs, and the arms and guns will be scratchbuilt. What you are looking at in picture is the body, the hips and the "pelvis" where the hips attach under/behind the body.

And yes, it's done in Illustrator. I know less than diddily about creating a 3D model. I can, however, call up what little I learned in basic drafting in 9th grade (when I wasn't watching Melodia Gomez, that is!:twisted:).

More info when I get more done!

Attached Files:

2. widget

widget Member

Will be waiting.
  3. Gearz

Gearz Member

Kewl..!! :thumb:
  4. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

I look forward to seeing your work on this!!
  5. Kjev

Kjev Member

Got the feet drawn in and roughly the right size last night. Hopefully I will get the legs done tonight. The guns will be scratchbuilt, and the shaft that connects them through the body will oddly be the same diameter as a soda straw . . . kinda funny how that will work out, isn't it?
  6. Kjev

Kjev Member

No pics as of yet, but I DID get the little bugger printed out yesterday. Both pages. I plan on starting the assembly tonight and getting some pictures uploaded.

It's going to be 28mm/1:48 scale, to match the Siege Tank model available. I'm considering doing colored versions of each of the team colors used in Starcraft.

If anyone has a decent shot of the Goliath from the game, that would be great.

:joust1:Keep in mind this model will be a composite of the images I was able to find (none of which look like each other) the game version, and my ability. A true purist may turn up their nose, but you should be able to look at it and say, "Oh, a Goliath!"
  7. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

will you have a download available?
  8. Kjev

Kjev Member

OF COURSE! That's half the fun.
  9. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

balloon6 need I say more???? :mrgreen:
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

First Beta Pics

They're not much to look at, since all I had handy was my cell phone's camera, but here are some pics of the Goliath's chassis. Not sure if you can make out some of the scribbles or not, but I've found it's handy to write my editing notes right on the model.

The first picture is the pod from the front, then the side, then with a small VTOL I'm designing.

Attached Files:

11. widget

widget Member

Upscale the VTOL a bit and use the Goliath pod as a detachable cockpit.
    The rest of the chassis could break down and be stored in the fuse. Or is the chassis too big?
    never played Starcraft
  12. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

13. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Nice! very very nice!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  14. Kjev

Kjev Member

Thanks All!

The Kestrel VTOL was actually a separate project. Kind of a combination between the Warhammer 40,000 Valkyrie, Apache Helicopter, Command and Conquer 3 Orca, the Skimmer from "Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles," and the little flying things from "The Incredibles." When it's finished, it should be a fairly light 2-man gunship.

It does need to be upscaled, though. Never thought of combining it with the Goliath. Hmmmmmmm . . . . a detachable cockpit pod, a magnet or two . . . .

Verrrrry Interestink!!!:twisted:

Hopefully I can get the Goliath's legs done this week.
  15. Kjev

Kjev Member

The legs . . . sort of.

Well, naturally since everything was going so well, Mr. Murphy had to step in.

The cockpit disappeared. I suspect a 2-year old, but I'm not sure if it's the boy or the dog.

Then I started on the legs. The feet went together easily. Perfectly, as a matter of fact.

And then the legs . . . apparently when I was resizing things, I forgot to resize the legs along with the feet. You can see from the picture how well that turned out. Presently the leg is about 1/8 of an inch wide. hamr

Once I get that done, get the cockpit rebuilt, I can see how it will all fit together. Then I can do the texturing and coloring, which is actually my favorite part.

As for the idea of making the Kestrel's cockpit out of the body of the Goliath, and keeping the legs in a cargo bay . . . . hmmmmmmmmmm . . . . . .

And so the second version begins to sprout as an idea.

Attached Files:

16. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

any word on the Goliath??
  17. Kjev

Kjev Member

I had a new beta model built. A certain 2-year old crumpled my second cockpit in a row. It looks good. I need to do some modifications to the toes, make the upper legs a little shorter to hopefully fix the balance problem, and do the guns.

Tried to take pictures, and discovered I'd scratched the lens on my cell phone's camera. Since then I've been working, packing for a trip, and helping with Flarebaffled's Imperial Warlord. (Which will be just awesome, by the way. It's in the Warhammer 40K Armor thread).