Star Wars : Walkers, drones, droids, tanks etc, etc

blaar

Well, my fascination for mechanized war machines such as BattleMechs sparked a wanna have in side me. I have mostly done mechs from MechWarrior and the L5 from BattleField so this is my first entry into the Star Wars setting.

I plan on doing a couple of walkers from Star Wars. I know there are dozens if not thousands of models from SW but all them have a short coming that have put me off. Not that there is anything wrong , it is just my limited skills building them. Some was just to difficult for me, others was PDF only (I hate pdf's since I never could wrap my mind around the instructions), others was just plain ugly.

I dug around and installed my old SW Battlefront and got some in game models that I have captured with 3D ripper, other models that I plan to release I got from Sketchup Warehouse. (Those that I got from there also seemed to have been ripped from the game).

I plan to make them as easy as possible yet keeping as much detail as possible without making the paper model to complicated or lacking details.

I must say the first model I did went smoothly. Was easy to "clean" and unlike the MechWarrior mechs which had waaaaaaaay to many overlapping faces this model was a blast to prepare for pepakura.

Ok.

So first up , and please excuse my limited knowledge of Star Wars, is a AT-PT Walker. I am not sure what the correct name is, but any geek out their please help me out with the correct name of this walker.

I am in the unfolding phase right now, and there is about 90 or so parts. I am using mostly the method of "crate a box" style of building the model. Perhaps there could have been less parts but at least it will be relatively easy to build gluing all the "boxes" together.

I don't know what scale to make them. I was thinking going with 25cm for this walker but I will leave the PDO unlocked for those who want to tinker with scales.

Edit : I initially intended to go with walkers only but already I can see some other promising models too. So I changed the title of the post :) announce1

Attachments

• atpt_3d.jpg
    atpt_3d.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 17

zwave343

the human lazor
Nice so far. What is your next one
As for walker names, they all start with at. That means allbterrain. The pt is what im stuck on

Z

Zathros

Very cool! Long time since I have seen your name, (it's been my absence). I have to go check on your link to see what you have been up too!

blaar

Initially I wanted to stick with the walkers but it would seem that I am going to "branch out" a bit and go with just about anything Star Wars related that catches my eye and I find a liking to and think that I want my own paper model version of it.

Next up, and this is not a certain, probably the Imperial Tank or the droid.

Looking the two over I would say the Droid will be way easier to finish, so we'll see.

Edit : I can't attach images here for some unknown reason. I get the error "Droid.jpg: This is not a valid image file."

@ Zathros

Recently I have released the Deimos, Ursus and Kodiak mechs, I have also finished the Longbow mech but have not released it yet. But go ahead, check my page, maybe their is something to your liking :)

blaar

I have finished the cleaning and unfolding of the AT-PT, and will upload it soon, also started work on the Spider Droid. I must say, at first I thought it would be a simple model, but after working with it, it is actually detailed with a lot of parts. Should make for a good model.

Attachments

• spider_droid.jpg
    spider_droid.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 15

blaar

Hi Blaar

When will they be released ?

I have uploaded the AT/PT to my mediafire page and submitted it at paper modelers too (pending approval )

I am in the process of unfolding the Spider Droid and when done I will let you guys know when it is ready.

The Hellfire droid is still some time off since I need to "clean" the mesh before unfolding. But once again as I finish the models I will post here. :)

EDIT : I must say, I have come to HATE Spider Droids :curse:. doing each leg 4x is not fun , so many parts ......... wish the guys at Tamasoft could work out some way that similar parts be automatically unfolded the same.

zwave343

the human lazor
Speaking of tamasoft fails, you can upload google sketchup 1-6, but not 7.
And then all of a sudden youmcan upload 8
But i reckon those missiles on the hail fire droid are going to be a major pain in the rear.
Bout how high are you making all these?

blaar

Speaking of tamasoft fails, you can upload google sketchup 1-6, but not 7.
And then all of a sudden youmcan upload 8
But i reckon those missiles on the hail fire droid are going to be a major pain in the rear.
Bout how high are you making all these?

Not sure what you mean, what/where do you have difficulties ?

zwave343

the human lazor
just saying, they skipped a sketchup. which is a pain coz then i could model everywhere
but how high are these?

blaar

Spider Droid is up, either at Paper Modelers or at my MediaFire page.

I made it roughly 30cm tall, some parts are relatively small to built and is not something I will attempt to build with my limited building skills. Keep in mind the model is beta but I think , all should fit fine. I made the body of the droid in to 2 separate parts since I thought it would be easier to build combining the two halves. The PDO is unlocked for those who want to scale or change the unfold.

Enjoy.

The Hellfire Droid will take a bit longer, I am still trying to figure out how to clean the main body part since it have a lot of detail.

So in the mean time, next up :

Imperial TX-130 Tank.http://www.flickr.com/photos/41188633@N08/3788853303/

Attachments

• tx_tank.jpg
    tx_tank.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 14

blaar

Okay, the TX130 Saber-class fighter tank is ready, download from either my mediafire page or from paper modelers.

Z

Zathros

Nice job blaar, you have quite a collection of offerings, people would be served well by checking out your Link. Thanks!